"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
mmmm.... I'm not really sure on that one - just as long as you don't store it in any kind of oil - unless for a very short time to "super-infuse" it to cook with or in salad dressings.

I might just try it - what I'll do is store a few cloves in the sherry and just leave it alone - see what it does.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:48 PM   #12
Sous Chef

I went the red wine route. Is still holding up pretty well a week or so later. I used some of the wine to cook today (Moo Goo Gai pan) and added some fresh wine to the ginger, seems to work okay.

Old 02-06-2005, 09:17 AM   #13
Master Chef

The main thing with sherry, port, vermouth, madeira is that they are fortified wines and have a much longer shelf life than other wines because of their higher alcohol content. But as long as you're using it (not putting on the fridge shelf and forgetting about it for six months) you'll know when/if it goes bad in an instant. I have a personal policy of tasting anything I am serving to guests way in advance of serving it to them ... I figure if I'm in the hospital, they'll know not to come. It has never happened. I'm amazed to learn that many who consider themselves good cooks don't actually taste their food. How weird.......
Old 02-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I agree Claire with everything you said about the fortified wines. The other wines do have a tendancy to turn and then there goes everything - but I can see if you were going to use it fairly soon it might be ok - but I even dislike a bottle of wine one day after it's been opened :roll:

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 11:09 PM   #15
Sous Chef

THis is good to know about Madeira, sherry, etc. I never understood why they are preferred over other alcohols.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:22 AM   #16
Master Chef

I always recommend fortified wines to freinds who do not drink (stupid though it may sound). Also for beginner cooks, because they (do not ask me why, I have no idea) 'cook up' to have a more mellow flavor .... simply easier to work with. Anything that calls for white wine or a dry wine in general, use dry vermouth. If you're looking for a darker, more intense flavor, experiment with the others I mentioned: madiera, sweet vermouth, sherry (I always buy dry, even that is rather sweet), etc. Any beef based soup or sauce can be improved with a dash of dry sherry!!! And it is a must for turtle or onion soup!!!
Old 08-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #17
Senior Cook

Hey - I was just looking through some old posts here and saw this discussion. I have recently purchased the cookbook "Sara Moulton Cooks At Home" and recalled reading a tip from her regarding storing ginger. (Don't you all just love reading cookbooks?) I didn't see this idea (the last suggestion) mentioned here so thought I would pass it along. She writes, and I quote - "Whenever I have Asian chefs on, they tell me they use ginger in so many recipes they just leave it in a basket in a cool dark place in the kitchen, much like garlic. I never go through it that fast, so I put it in the vegetable drawer in a loose plastic bag. Some people freeze it, but I think that dissipates its flavor. Some people store it peeled in sherry, which makes for awfully tasty alcohol and slightly compromised ginger. Nina Simond, a Chinese cookbook author, suggested planting it in a pot of sandy soil, letting it take root, and then just cutting off pieces as you need them." I thought the last suggestion was interesting and one I've never heard of doing but sounds reasonable. As for me, I'll decide I want to make a stir fry dinner, but have no ginger, and I'm always hesitant to keep the stuff in the house because it will inevitably go bad before I use it up. Next time I buy the stuff, I'll try the potting idea - just might work.
Old 08-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I store mine in the freezer since it was the only way I knew how. Plus it is real easy to grate ginger straight out of the freezer, but if I wanted to use it any other way I would have to let it thaw...and that let the delicious juices escape.

I will definitely try this method of preserving it in the future.