Storing Olive Oil (refrigerate or not?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just on this subject, some of the olive oil providers have started selling boxcasks of it... 10L in a plastic bag, inside a cardboard box, with a tap. You just tap off the amount you need.

Unfortunately, it's made by a company who makes the most awful, green tasting olive oil, so hopefully one of the other vendors will steal the idea quickly:P

Storing Olive Oil - refrigeration follow-up

I am the original poster. The best post for my questions can be found here

I am now on the final 2 cups of the original 3 litre can of olive oil which I purchased in Dec 2006, so it took me about 9 months to use it up (not the 12 months that I anticipated). This well-flavored olive oil, which contained no preservatives or additives, maintained its flavor with no degradation.

A special thanks belongs to boufa06, who educated me about refrigerating olive oil in this post. As my kitchen is not air conditioned and summer temperatures range from the high-80s F on up, I took his advice re. refrigerating the remaining portion of my olive oil at the beginning of the summer. In June, I took the remaining amount from the original *metal* 3 litre container and distributed it as follows...

I kept a small portion (for immediate use) in a glass cruet on my kitchen counter, about 2 cups in a glass container stored in a kitchen cupboard (protected from light but, obviously, not heat) and the remainder was kept in a glass container in my refrigerator. As needed, I used the kitchen cupboard olive oil to replenish the kitchen counter cruet and the refrigerated oil to replenish the kitchen cupboard olive oil.

I anticipate that my olive oil stash will soon be replenished by a friend whose family has an olive grove (in Italy) and distributes the resulting olive oil to small-scale distributors in the European Union plus selected friends (which, I trust, includes *me*). :chef:

Back
Top Bottom