"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-12-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Storing sausage?

I am planning to make a large amount of sausage soon (10-20 lbs), grabbing some casings tomorrow, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to freeze it? Zip-loc or paper? Left in a string or separate the links? I've used styrofoam trays and plastic wrap for short term storage (usually less than a week) in the freezer, I've thought about using freezer paper, but not sure how well it will work for prolonged storage (a month or two).

Paper seems to be the more cost effective solution

Some will be sweet Italian, some will be a simple breakfast sausage, both types in natural hog casings.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:21 AM   #2
Master Chef

Hi Freki. A vacuum sealer would probably work best for storage longer than a couple of months, but if you don't have one and don't intend to buy one, I would wrap them (still in links) in meal sized portions in plastic wrap, then in alum foil, then in freezer bags.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
Head Chef

If you don't have a vacuum sealer the put them in plastic bags, get out as much air as you can & wrap in freezer paper.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I'd wrap them in plastic wrap as tightly as possible so there are no air pockets. Put the plastic wrapped packages into ziplocks.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
Master Chef

I don't have a vacuum sealer but keep two kinds of plastic bags for freezing everything. The food goes into a flimsy non sealing bag and all air is squeezed out and the bag opening twisted closed. Then it goes into a heavy duty freezer bag with all possible air removed then sealed and labeled. I never have freezer burn on anything no matter how long it's frozen.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Hi Freki. A vacuum sealer would probably work best for storage longer than a couple of months, but if you don't have one and don't intend to buy one, I would wrap them (still in links) in meal sized portions in plastic wrap, then in alum foil, then in freezer bags.
And, of course, especially if you are doing different types, label the packages! Don't package them in large numbers - sometimes you need a pound and a half of sausages but often you only need a couple of them.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Administrator

When I make sausage I freeze it first then vacuum seal. You can buy a food saver fairly inexpensively and they are good for a long time. 20 pounds of meat getting freezer burn is not cheap.

You can also do the water method. Put the sausage in a freezer bag and almost close it. Slowly immerse it in a large pot of water and massage the air out. Finish closing it just before you put that last corner under. It does a decent job.

What kind of sausage are you planning on making? I leave kielbasa in rings but things like breakfast and hot dogs I link and separate before storing.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Don't forget that caning is an option. Plus there is zero defrost time.

Tags
sage, sausage