Storing sausage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Freki

Assistant Cook
I am planning to make a large amount of sausage soon (10-20 lbs), grabbing some casings tomorrow, but I'm wondering what would be the best way to freeze it? Zip-loc or paper? Left in a string or separate the links? I've used styrofoam trays and plastic wrap for short term storage (usually less than a week) in the freezer, I've thought about using freezer paper, but not sure how well it will work for prolonged storage (a month or two).

Paper seems to be the more cost effective solution

Some will be sweet Italian, some will be a simple breakfast sausage, both types in natural hog casings.

Hi Freki. :) A vacuum sealer would probably work best for storage longer than a couple of months, but if you don't have one and don't intend to buy one, I would wrap them (still in links) in meal sized portions in plastic wrap, then in alum foil, then in freezer bags.

Last edited:
If you don't have a vacuum sealer the put them in plastic bags, get out as much air as you can & wrap in freezer paper.

I'd wrap them in plastic wrap as tightly as possible so there are no air pockets. Put the plastic wrapped packages into ziplocks.

I don't have a vacuum sealer but keep two kinds of plastic bags for freezing everything. The food goes into a flimsy non sealing bag and all air is squeezed out and the bag opening twisted closed. Then it goes into a heavy duty freezer bag with all possible air removed then sealed and labeled. I never have freezer burn on anything no matter how long it's frozen.

Hi Freki. :) A vacuum sealer would probably work best for storage longer than a couple of months, but if you don't have one and don't intend to buy one, I would wrap them (still in links) in meal sized portions in plastic wrap, then in alum foil, then in freezer bags.
And, of course, especially if you are doing different types, label the packages! Don't package them in large numbers - sometimes you need a pound and a half of sausages but often you only need a couple of them.

When I make sausage I freeze it first then vacuum seal. You can buy a food saver fairly inexpensively and they are good for a long time. 20 pounds of meat getting freezer burn is not cheap.

You can also do the water method. Put the sausage in a freezer bag and almost close it. Slowly immerse it in a large pot of water and massage the air out. Finish closing it just before you put that last corner under. It does a decent job.

What kind of sausage are you planning on making? I leave kielbasa in rings but things like breakfast and hot dogs I link and separate before storing.

Back
Top Bottom