"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Duck confit is duck, usually the leg/thigh, cooked in duck fat at a low temperature.
thanks! i may go with this for the remaining parts...

Old 10-18-2007, 11:08 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBear42 View Post
Out of curiosity, college cook, speaking of confit, what do ya'll do differently? To my mind, the tricky part if figuring out how to cure it at a cool-but-not-cold temperature, i.e., about 45 degrees. What do you figure is the key?
I cure the confit in the fridge. It works just fine, and tastes terrific. I usually let it sit an extra day on the cure.

Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBear42 View Post
Out of curiosity, college cook, speaking of confit, what do ya'll do differently? To my mind, the tricky part if figuring out how to cure it at a cool-but-not-cold temperature, i.e., about 45 degrees. What do you figure is the key?

We actually cure ours in the fridge. And IMO, the curing is just such a critical step in making duck confit. A lot folks just forego the curing process altogether nowadays which is a shame, because that's where all the flavor comes from. I don't know what's in the cure right off the top of my head, but I know it's also important enough to use enough of it. While curing, we keep our duck legs sandwiched between 2 hotel pans in the walk in fridge.

I think another reason I like the way we do ours is because we keep the skin throughout the entire process, and when we're ready to serve, we crisp the duck skin in a hot cast iron pan, and warm it in the oven. This has the added benefit of melting any excess fat caught up on the meat.