Strange food combinations that actually work.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vitello tonnato: roast fillet of veal with tuna, anchovy and caper sauce. A great classic from round here, always eaten cold. Great on sa hot summer day!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I like...

rippled potato chips with ketchup

toasted bread with creamy peanut butter and mayonnaise

fried peanut butter and jam sandwiches

sandwiches made with fried bacon, ketchup and salad dressing on toasted bread

scrambled egg and pickles on toasted bread with mayonnaise and French's Honey Mustard

I also like, tuna sandwich made with dried cranberries, celery, hard boiled egg, and mayonnaise on toasted bread

Last edited:
I forgot to mention...

I like a hearty meat and bean chili with either Hershey's Chocolate Kisses or those "snack size" Hershey Chocolate Candy Bars melted in the chili.

A chip buttie: heavily butter a fresh roll, and fill it with potato chips.

Remarkably, this works just as well in the Old Country and in the colonies, even though potato chips mean entirely different things. If you're using the kind served hot with fish, ketchup is also recommended. If they're the kind of chips that come in a bag, pile them high, and just before squishing the roll together, douse with a little Wooster sauce.

My first unusual combination was created when I was in elementary school. At that time, real lunches were served, always cooked by the hairnet-wearing cafeteria ladies.

Depending on the day, each table in the cafeteria was set with several plates of stacked white bread slices we could eat along with whatever we'd chosen from the food line. There was also an accompanying bowl of butter (probably a margarine-type food) with a spreader so we could slather some on our bread. THAT would not happen today, would it?

Any rate, on the bread days when I chose applesauce from the food line, I would spread the fruit onto some bread, roll it up and eat it like a sweet roll. I still like to do that.

By high school I'd added crushed potato chips on vanilla ice cream to my out-of-the-ordinary food list. Someone has already mentioned scooping ice cream with chips. Very reminiscent of salted peanuts on top to me, which is part of a tin roof sundae. Cooking Goddess mentioned tin roof sundaes and now I want one.

In my early 20s I discovered that beer and M&Ms is really quite good together. And, before anyone becomes a smarty pants, I didn't reach that conclusion after too many brews. Beatcha to it.:LOL:

Last edited:
Ooh! A cocktail that is barely known over this side of the Pond: A Shandy: Mix beer and 7-Up, is all. Very topical right now, because it might be the most refreshing Summer drink ever.

On my first-ever day out alone in America, I borrowed my fiancee's 1969 Dodge Dart. I was in Boulder, CO, so I headed right up the Flatirons to Gold Hill, 3,000 feet higher, had lunch, and kept going up. I got to 12,000 feet before the car and I passed out. A friendly cop gave me oxygen, twiddled with the carburettor, and pointed me downhill.

About a mile lower, I stopped at my first American bar, and asked for a shandy and a hamburger. I had to explain what a shandy was, and she looked at me worriedly before calling out: "Hey, Harry! This guy wants 7-Up in his beer!"

When the hamburger came, I asked for HP Sauce. I had to explain what that was, too, and got rewarded with: "Harry! Get out here! Now he wants BROWN sauce on his hamburger!"

Whatever you do, don't waste good beer on it: A Guinness shandy would be a crime, but here's another great strange combination: Guinness and Champagne, called a Black Velvet:

MI-Black-Velvet-Guinness.jpg

(Bartenders who think style is everything serve it as above, like a pousse-café, but that's plain silly: it should be mixed.)

Grilled cheese sandwich and dip it or spread grape jelly on it
toast with peanut butter with cinnamon sugar
potato chips with sliced of Valdivia onion
pizza and dip it into blue cheese dressing
my mom use to gross me out with her peanut butter and bread& butter pickles

I forgot to mention...

I like a hearty meat and bean chili with either Hershey's Chocolate Kisses or those "snack size" Hershey Chocolate Candy Bars melted in the chili.
I'm glad you said that. My chili con carne recipe has cocoa in it and although they enjoy it when they don't know the cocoa's there they turn their noses up at it when told about it.

A chip buttie: heavily butter a fresh roll, and fill it with potato chips.

Remarkably, this works just as well in the Old Country and in the colonies, even though potato chips mean entirely different things. If you're using the kind served hot with fish, ketchup is also recommended. If they're the kind of chips that come in a bag, pile them high, and just before squishing the roll together, douse with a little Wooster sauce.
Well I never, I didn't know that chip butties are strange. I assume you mean the proper (ie British) chips. Bad manners in public, according to my Mother, but not strange.

I have friends who think my peanut butter and grated raw carrot sandwich filling is decidedly odd - but it isn't, it's yum.

Last edited:
Liverwurst or liver pate with sliced bananas.. yes that on a sandwich and you will get more iron in you then normal and it does taste good. Things you learn in the doctor office when you cant take iron supplement pills. ;)

Peanut butter and crispy bacon sandwich..

I love bacon on peanut butter sandwiches!

Equal amounts of 7-Up and lemonade Gatorade. It tastes like a fizzy wine cooler and it's great for someone who's sick. The 7-Up will settle their stomach and the Gatorade will keep them hydrated.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom