Strange food combos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Piccolina

Executive Chef
Hi all, the thread that is running right now about foods that you "wouldn't put in your mouth" inspired me to ask this question...

What are some "strange" food combinations that you love to eat together, but which raise a lot of eye brows if you tell them to your nearest and dearest?

Let's see, peanut butter with mayo, potato chips and deep dark chocolate, figs with soft buttery brie, my daughter loves a smooshed white bread, potato chip, mayo sammie... I shiver at okra, but love the pickled kind rolled in flattened white bread with flavored cream cheese and then cut into little slices..home fries with a little garlic and eggs on top, Pasties with all veggies, forget the meat and a side of lima beans and ham :LOL: Left over beans rolled in a slice of bread...Hot dog and a flour tortilla and a smear of woody's bbq sauce, potaot chips with hot peppers. That's about all I can think of right now..Can't wait to see what the rest of you enjoy in private, I might add it to our list:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

:LOL: the list is to no end, really, I will spare you the details! kadesma has spawned a few new cravings for me!

Deli ham and peanut butter sandwich - tx to Mom, who used to eat this when I was a kid, and I thought it gross then, but love it now!

Oh - and forgot to add hubby loves cottage cheese with soy sauce and those little nori sprinkles!!!

CJ, fig & brie and pasties with vegs are delicious!! I love them too and I don't think they are strange at all!!

Well when I was little I realise I used to love some horrid things that now looking back I shiver with horror at the memory... some of my faves were spaghetti soaked in ketchup, and omelette with maionnaise.:sick: Yes I actually loved those things, egad!!

These days I have found a couple of seemingly strange combinations which worked out really well, which are guacamole on falafels, and sliced mortadella with kiwi.
Also we always eat ice cream heaped with whipped cream, which is concidered kinda weird outside Rome but here, it is very popular...

Sooo Jessica, what is your "closet menu"???

Sooo Jessica, what is your "closet menu"???
:LOL: Truth be told I can't think of anything to amazingly strange off the top of my head. I've been a ketchup addict for life, and put it on everything from pizza (as a dipping sauce) to cauliflower. When I was little my mom made us sandwiches with processed cheese slices and jam (usually a berry flavour), which I still make every now and then for old time sake. I love to eat (this is a super rare event these days, lol) bread the has been drentched in gravey....hmmmm what else?

I will have to keep pondering this, surely I must have some weird food combos too.

DH eats Rice Crispies with chocolate Insure over them ..
Peanut butter Sandwiches with Pickles

Ice cream and whipped cream weird? That’s the best food combination there is. What are you talking about? :LOL:

Anyway, as far as weird goes, how about chopped herring with mashed potato mixed together. :sick:

CharlieD said:

Anyway, as far as weird goes, how about chopped herring with mashed potato mixed together. :sick:

To me that sounds good. I bought some herring from Sweden at Ikea last week. We used to eat herring all the time when I was a kid. I love the stuff, but it's hard to get Scandinavian-style herring here.

Peanut butter and brussel sprout sandwhiches?

(No, I don't actually eat them - I just made it up...)

John

Andy M. said:
I love french fries with Hellman's mayonnaise.

That is actually widely practised in Holland and Scandinavian countries!! (well the mayonnaise may not be Hellmans) I also find it delicious though I try not to overdo that for ovbious reasons....

My husband drinks chocolate milk with pizza and chili. :sick:

I don't think anything I put together is weird, but I love all kinds of foods, and do eat some things that not all of you would like. :LOL: For your sakes, I won't go into detail.

One of the nicest surprises I've had is an hors d'ouevres that a friend of mine made for a party. She spread thick slices of bacon with peanut butter, rolled them up, secured with toothpicks, and broiled in the oven. They were were very good!

kadesma figs with soft buttery brie said:
kads, i'd gotten a pressed fig/almond cake from the cheese case recently. it was one of the few sweet items i liked. about $9.00, although i'd say it was well worth it. i want to buy a few more to keep in the fridge.

marge, i used to put vanilla ensure on my rice krispies.

Last edited:
luvs, the market I shop at has those fig cakes or bread also an apricot one, I've had the fig with cheese and love it..It's not overly sweet and with the cheese Emmm.. Happy Holidays little one :)

kadesma

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom