Stuffed Bell Pepper fillings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LaineyLoo

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just came across it by accident and I'm glad I did-its a fantastic place and resource for those who love to cook!

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying out some recipes, one of which is stuffed bell peppers. I'm just not sure what kind of fillings to put in them. I like the idea of rice, I'm just wondering what else could go with it to make it nice and tasty. I'm also thinking of trying out stuffed mushrooms.

Any suggestions at all would be really helpful, I'm hoping to try out my new recipe soon!

Thanks!

Welcome Laineyloo, Stuffed peppers, YUM! I have stuffed them with rice mixed with fried bacon bits and chopped onions mixed with tomatoes. Also have used browned ground beef with chopped onions and tomatoes.You can add some garlic if you like.

Thanks thumper, the bacon one sounds yum alright! Think I'll give that one a go myself! My boyfriend doesn't eat much meat though for health reasons so was thinking of trying out some veggie type versions. He eats fish and seafood so was thinking of maybe doing something like pepper stuffed with rice, onions, some chopped pepper (veg all fried together beforehand) with maybe some baby prawns/shrimp or something like that? Maybe some cheese aswell to bind it all. Does that sound like an ok combination or does it sound totally gross? lol :)

Oh thats a good idea, I was wondering what kind of things to use to bind the filling together a bit, never thought of soup! Thanks for all your suggestions thumper, I think I'll head off now to do some shopping for the ingredients! Thanks again!

P.S. Any other suggestions are welcome from anyone, I like to experiment a bit and will try out different fillings and combinations!

I agree with thumper - the veggies sound great! I would try some sour cream (mix in just a tad of flour and it will thicken it as it bakes OR thicken it on your stove top and then add your veggies then stuff your pepper) or a little cream cheese to help bind it as well.

Our favorite mushroom stuffer is cream cheese, bacon, onion, garlic and the minced mushroom stems - saute in a pan, add the cream cheese, stuff your caps and sprinkle with cheddar. I also have a really good spinach stuffing if you are looking more like for a meal (they stuff portobellas).

Welcome and good luck!

For a different twist and more flavour, try bulghur, couscous or quinoa (prepared beforehand) instead of the regular rice, combined with your favourite vegetables and cheese... I have tried this with mushrooms and zucchine with excellent results!

Thanks guys, they all sound delicious.

And I do really like cous cous aswell urmaniac so I'll definately give that a try. I've just been to the shop and bought some ricotta, large mushrooms, mixed musrooms and peppers so I think I'll try out some nice combinations!

Thanks again guys!

I use the same mix I do for cabbage rolls: Rice, ground meat, chopped onion and garlic is the base. Then you need to make sure you use lots of broth/stock/tomato so the rice rehydrates. For the meat, I've used beef, chicken, pork, veal, turkey, or venison (and often more than one). I recommend a fattier meat than for other meals (in other words, choosing between white ground turkey and dark, go for the dark). If you make it too lean, the rice will not work. Oh, I didn't say -- an egg as well.

Bell peppers or paprika goes well with seafood.
This is very easy, yet tastefull:

Fill the paprika with crawfish and mascarpone cheese and just a little oregano on top. Strike outside with olive oil and cook in oven, 200 C. 15-20 minutes.

Serve with rice. Very creamy !

4jan.jpg

don't forget a hot peppers as well in the stuffed pepper.

How about a chicken, rice, hot pepper, and marinara version of stuff peppers.

I make a Mexican Style Stuffed Pepper that's awfully good:
http://www.discusscooking.com/forum...-12563.html?highlight=Mexican+Stuffed+Peppers

One could take that same recipe and replace the meat with cooked rice.

Another thought: How would it be to stuff the peppers with the same mixture you use to make crab cakes?

Also check out Caine's suggestion on that page. you could make that easier by preparing a box of Zatarain's Jambayla mix, adding baby shrimp and a can of diced tomatoes.

For a really beautiful dish, buy a package of mixed sweet peppers...red, golden and green.

Last edited:
I make mine like my mother did. A really good sausage (bulk) with onions, a few bread crumbs and seasonings to taste - sometimes a bit of celery, also. I parboil my peppers (cut in half lenghthwise) in salted water, then drain and stuff. I like them leftover cold as well as hot.

Licia, I have never sliced them in half to stuff them...always thought I had to leave them whole. But I can see that method having certain advantages...more area available for toppings, for one.
I think I will try it that way next time.

Another vegetarian thought came to me...how about a barley and mushroom type filling? That could be spiced up in all sorts of ways.

I would buy a few different colors of peppers, and some large tomatoes. Both look pretty when stuffed and the colors are alternated.

Fillings for the Peppers:

Orzo

Couscous, roasted garlic, raisins & nuts (Try one of the flavored couscous like Near East)

Mac ' n cheese (using very small elbow macaroni or pasta)

Sausage & Spanish rice (add some diced peppers & onions to the mix)

For the stuffed tomatoes, you can use this filling to stuff the peppers if you like.

TOMATOES FONTINA

6 tbl butter or margarine
2 shallots, minced
1 1/2 c uncooked tubetti or other small pasta
1 can (about 14 oz) chicken broth
8 lg firm tomatoes
about 1/2 c chopped fresh basil leaves
3 c (12 oz) shredded fontina cheese (or your favorite cheese, i.e.
crumbled feta, etc)

Melt butter in saucepan, add shallots & saute till tender, about 2 mins. Stir in pasta; cook till lightly browned about 3 mins. Add broth, 1 1/4 cs water & 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to boil; simmer uncovered 15 mins or till liquid is absorbed.

Preheat oven to 350. Remove & discard seeds & center pulp from tomatoes. Lightly sprinkle inside of each w salt, pepper & half of basil. Stir cheese into pasta mixture; spoon into tomatoes, dividing evenly.

Place tomatoes in shallow baking dish; pour 1/2 c water in bottom, cover & bake 20 mins. Remove cover; bake 10 mins more or until hot & bubbly. Sprinkle top edge of tomatoes w remaining basil.

Here are some other suggestions:

http://kneesandbees.blogspot.com/2005/01/spicy-italian-sausage-roasted-garlic.html

Spicy Stuffed Peppers
Use the long pointed Spanish peppers or ordinary red bell peppers.

2 red peppers
1 to 2 tbsp oil
2 tbsp pine nuts
2 spring onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely diced
1/3 cup rice
1 large or 2 small chilis, diced
1 cup vegetable stock
1/3 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
Small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
4.5 ounces blue cheese
Salt and black pepper
1 ripe avocado and 4 tbsp sour cream

Make filling by heating oil in a pan and sauting onions, garlic and pine nuts for 5 minutes until nuts just start to brown.

Stir in rice and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes stirring all the while. Stir in the stock and chilis and cook over a low heat until rice is cooked through, stirring frequently.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 F. When rice is just cooked, stir in tomatoes, herbs and 3.5 oz of the cheese. Season to taste.

Slice peppers in half lengthwise, keeping stalk intact if possible. Discard pits and any inner stalk. Fill each half with the rice and cheese mixture, place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Mix together the remaining cheese and sour cream then chill.

Serve with sliced avocado topped with the sour cream.

Back
Top Bottom