"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-13-2006, 07:32 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Stuffed Bell Pepper fillings

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I just came across it by accident and I'm glad I did-its a fantastic place and resource for those who love to cook!

Anyway, I'm thinking of trying out some recipes, one of which is stuffed bell peppers. I'm just not sure what kind of fillings to put in them. I like the idea of rice, I'm just wondering what else could go with it to make it nice and tasty. I'm also thinking of trying out stuffed mushrooms.

Any suggestions at all would be really helpful, I'm hoping to try out my new recipe soon!

Thanks!

Old 03-13-2006, 07:37 AM   #2
Head Chef

Welcome Laineyloo, Stuffed peppers, YUM! I have stuffed them with rice mixed with fried bacon bits and chopped onions mixed with tomatoes. Also have used browned ground beef with chopped onions and tomatoes.You can add some garlic if you like.

Old 03-13-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks thumper, the bacon one sounds yum alright! Think I'll give that one a go myself! My boyfriend doesn't eat much meat though for health reasons so was thinking of trying out some veggie type versions. He eats fish and seafood so was thinking of maybe doing something like pepper stuffed with rice, onions, some chopped pepper (veg all fried together beforehand) with maybe some baby prawns/shrimp or something like that? Maybe some cheese aswell to bind it all. Does that sound like an ok combination or does it sound totally gross? lol
Old 03-13-2006, 07:52 AM   #4
Head Chef

That sounds good LaineyLoo. Veggies would be great. Maybe mixed with cream of mushroom soup.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Oh thats a good idea, I was wondering what kind of things to use to bind the filling together a bit, never thought of soup! Thanks for all your suggestions thumper, I think I'll head off now to do some shopping for the ingredients! Thanks again!

P.S. Any other suggestions are welcome from anyone, I like to experiment a bit and will try out different fillings and combinations!
Old 03-13-2006, 07:57 AM   #6
Head Chef

I agree with thumper - the veggies sound great! I would try some sour cream (mix in just a tad of flour and it will thicken it as it bakes OR thicken it on your stove top and then add your veggies then stuff your pepper) or a little cream cheese to help bind it as well.

Our favorite mushroom stuffer is cream cheese, bacon, onion, garlic and the minced mushroom stems - saute in a pan, add the cream cheese, stuff your caps and sprinkle with cheddar. I also have a really good spinach stuffing if you are looking more like for a meal (they stuff portobellas).

Welcome and good luck!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
For a different twist and more flavour, try bulghur, couscous or quinoa (prepared beforehand) instead of the regular rice, combined with your favourite vegetables and cheese... I have tried this with mushrooms and zucchine with excellent results!
Old 03-13-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys, they all sound delicious.

And I do really like cous cous aswell urmaniac so I'll definately give that a try. I've just been to the shop and bought some ricotta, large mushrooms, mixed musrooms and peppers so I think I'll try out some nice combinations!

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-13-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Master Chef

I use the same mix I do for cabbage rolls: Rice, ground meat, chopped onion and garlic is the base. Then you need to make sure you use lots of broth/stock/tomato so the rice rehydrates. For the meat, I've used beef, chicken, pork, veal, turkey, or venison (and often more than one). I recommend a fattier meat than for other meals (in other words, choosing between white ground turkey and dark, go for the dark). If you make it too lean, the rice will not work. Oh, I didn't say -- an egg as well.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Bell peppers or paprika goes well with seafood.
This is very easy, yet tastefull:

Fill the paprika with crawfish and mascarpone cheese and just a little oregano on top. Strike outside with olive oil and cook in oven, 200 C. 15-20 minutes.

Serve with rice. Very creamy !