"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Stuffed French Toast Recipe?

Has anyone every made a stuffed french toast recipe where you let the bread sit in the egg mixture over night and then put it in the oven? I would think the bread would fall apart but maybe im wrong. Does it turn out ok? Here is the recipe im looking at to maybe make this weekend but id like to determine if its to work out before i attempt to make it:

Running Horse Inn on the Ninemile - Huson (northwest of Missoula), Montana - BBOnline.com / Carmel Apple Stuffed French Toast

Old 03-09-2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Head Chef

I've made an orange marmalade cream cheese stuffed french toast which you soak in an egg/milk/OJ mixture overnight - its delicious. I can post the recipe if you would like it. The recipe I follow does not have any bad results (i.e. bread doesnt fall apart)

Old 03-09-2007, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toots
I've made an orange marmalade cream cheese stuffed french toast which you soak in an egg/milk/OJ mixture overnight - its delicious. I can post the recipe if you would like it. The recipe I follow does not have any bad results (i.e. bread doesnt fall apart)
Thanks for the reply toots. Sure while we are talking about stuffed french toast why not post it.

Ncage
Old 03-09-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
You're pretty much making a bread pudding, so there should be no falling apart problems when you serve it.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:23 PM   #5
Head Chef

Caine is right, the bread soaks up all of the liquid and when it cooks, it will puff up. When you serve it, it will taste and look fine.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:28 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
You're pretty much making a bread pudding, so there should be no falling apart problems when you serve it.
hmmm so you won't get the browning affect that you get with regular french toast?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 PM   #7
Cook

I never soaked them overnight before. I make a mean banana stuffed french toast.... I will give it a go. Thanks for the idea!
Old 03-09-2007, 09:34 PM   #8
Head Chef

In these recipes, the bread and ingredients are put into the pan in which it will be baked and the egg mixture is poured evenly over all. You might have to pour some of the egg mixture over each bread layer to get it evenly coated. Then it is covered and refrigerated overnight. Next morning uncover and bake as directed.
This recipe is especially popular for Christmas mornings and when you have weekend guest. That is why many of the recipes make 8 or more servings.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:07 AM   #9
Sous Chef

I've done this quite often and yes, ncage, it does brown - not like when you fry them, but the top does brown. Delicious!
Old 03-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Thumbs down

Well i tried it and umm it wasnt' all that good. I don't think it was the technique i just did not like the flavor that much. This is the 2nd stuffed french toast ive ever had in my life. I did have to make one substitute but i don't think it would have affected the final results that much. I had to replace sugar for sugar in the raw because i ran out of sugar and i did not realize while i was at the store that i was low. I tried a half of one with maple syrup and still the taste was not that great. I would give it a 2 probably out of a 5 and probably will not make it again. For any of you going to try to make it i thought i would give you the heads up.

Ncage