Stuffed French Toast Recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Last edited by a moderator:
I've made an orange marmalade cream cheese stuffed french toast which you soak in an egg/milk/OJ mixture overnight - its delicious. I can post the recipe if you would like it. The recipe I follow does not have any bad results (i.e. bread doesnt fall apart)

Toots said:
I've made an orange marmalade cream cheese stuffed french toast which you soak in an egg/milk/OJ mixture overnight - its delicious. I can post the recipe if you would like it. The recipe I follow does not have any bad results (i.e. bread doesnt fall apart)

Thanks for the reply toots. Sure while we are talking about stuffed french toast why not post it.

Ncage

You're pretty much making a bread pudding, so there should be no falling apart problems when you serve it.

Caine is right, the bread soaks up all of the liquid and when it cooks, it will puff up. When you serve it, it will taste and look fine.

Caine said:
You're pretty much making a bread pudding, so there should be no falling apart problems when you serve it.

hmmm so you won't get the browning affect that you get with regular french toast?

In these recipes, the bread and ingredients are put into the pan in which it will be baked and the egg mixture is poured evenly over all. You might have to pour some of the egg mixture over each bread layer to get it evenly coated. Then it is covered and refrigerated overnight. Next morning uncover and bake as directed.
This recipe is especially popular for Christmas mornings and when you have weekend guest. That is why many of the recipes make 8 or more servings.

Well i tried it and umm it wasnt' all that good. I don't think it was the technique i just did not like the flavor that much. This is the 2nd stuffed french toast ive ever had in my life. I did have to make one substitute but i don't think it would have affected the final results that much. I had to replace sugar for sugar in the raw because i ran out of sugar and i did not realize while i was at the store that i was low. I tried a half of one with maple syrup and still the taste was not that great. I would give it a 2 probably out of a 5 and probably will not make it again. For any of you going to try to make it i thought i would give you the heads up.

Ncage

Like Caine said - this is more of a bread pudding than a "french toast". Soaking overnight in the batter will not cause it to fall apart - but how you cook it will affect how, or if, it browns. Had you removed it from the batter and cooked on a hot buttered grill or in a cast iron skillet (or non-stick sklllet) it would have turned nice and brown, and the proteins in the batter would have firmed up the bread.

"Stuffed" french toast is basically - wait ... we just discussed this! Golly but I love the little "SEARCH" button at the top of the page ... you might start with this thread for ideas ...

Back
Top Bottom