Stuffed peppers question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always cook both the rice and the meat from a raw state inside the pepper with nary an ill effect. The moisture from the pepper and the meat are enough to sufficiently cook the rice.

VeraBlue said:
I always cook both the rice and the meat from a raw state inside the pepper with nary an ill effect. The moisture from the pepper and the meat are enough to sufficiently cook the rice.

Same here, everything is raw.

I usually cook the rice but meat and peppers are raw. I am pleased to hear that some use uncooked rice that would save me a step.

Thank YOu

willingheart said:
I want to make stuffed peppers for dinner. I looked up some recipes and they all say to precook the meat and rice and sauce mixture. I always imagined putting the raw meat mixture in the peppers and baking it. It bakes for a long time anyway, why wouldnt' it work like meatloaf? Anybody make stuffed peppers without pre-cooking?
Lara

Thanks for attention to the topic of stuffed peppers. Seems always different ideas than the last. The attempt of using 'raw' ingredients appeals to me. Only for the fact of being curious about how the flavor is affected.

This is always a favorite of mine to fix. Having the comment, why don't you try to fix different? is what the family says after eating. So now I have some new ideas and I thank you for asking about stuffed peppers. Seems everyone makes stuffed peppers, just different.

So I made stuffed peppers last night! kinda just made it up:
I sauted some onions, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, oregano, and basil.
added that to ground round.
par cooked some rice in the microwave (I didn't want to have to wait forever for it to bake so I went ahead and did an in-between) and added that to the ground mixture.
then I added in an egg to pull the whole thing together.
I par boiled 4 peppers, then stuffed them with the above mixture.
I then spooned some tomatoe sauce on top of each individually, poured a tad of water on each (to make sure that the rice cooked) covered it with foil and baked it for about an hour or so (prolly could have been shorter) at 350.

They were o so good!!:chef:

SurvivorGirl said:
So I made stuffed peppers last night! kinda just made it up:
I sauted some onions, mushrooms, zucchini, garlic, oregano, and basil.
added that to ground round.
par cooked some rice in the microwave (I didn't want to have to wait forever for it to bake so I went ahead and did an in-between) and added that to the ground mixture.
then I added in an egg to pull the whole thing together.
I par boiled 4 peppers, then stuffed them with the above mixture.
I then spooned some tomatoe sauce on top of each individually, poured a tad of water on each (to make sure that the rice cooked) covered it with foil and baked it for about an hour or so (prolly could have been shorter) at 350.

They were o so good!!:chef:

If you baked them for an hour, there was absolutely no reason to par cook the rice. That's more than enough time for the rice to fully cook.

VeraBlue said:
If you baked them for an hour, there was absolutely no reason to par cook the rice. That's more than enough time for the rice to fully cook.
true, but i didn't want to have to wait forever and seeing as i'd never made them before, i just wanted ot make sure:chef:

YT2095 said:
well there’s nothing worse than taking them out swimming in grease too :(

I agree with YT2095. If you are doing a stuffed pepper, there is nothing worse then a "greasy" stuffed pepper. If you do not pre-cook your protein for the stuffing, and drain it, you will have a rather nasty item to eat.

Of course, that is just my opinion.

Use your proteins to make nice brown bits in your skillet, remove the grease, and deglaze your pan, you will be much happier with your end results.

In any case, grease in itself is not a good component to your health.

Fat is a major flavor component, but if it is taken to extremes (or often) assume the opposite.

asper

Back
Top Bottom