Stuffed red peppers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CassieKate

Assistant Cook
My husband's ex-step mom used to make these YEARS ago. He was wanting me to make them. Anyone have a recipe to share?:)

you`ll need ground beef or lamb, these work very well with peppers, but Turkey, chicken or pork is good also, there`s no "Rules".
you`ll need to cook this meat 1`st and get rid of any excess fat, cook it with your herbs and spices and onion some chili and so forth as well as your salt.
I let this cool and add some Almost cooked rice (you don`t want it 100% cooked it`ll go soggy).
when cool mix this with your meat and spice mix and then pack into the hollow bell pepper avoid air gaps if you can, use a T spoon.

I like to put a peice of cheese over the hole after, then put them into a glass caserole dish making sure you have enough in there so they don`t fall over (I get 4 in mine).
put the lid on and into the oven on a medium heat for about 45 mins.

that`s it, you`re done :)

When I make stuffed peppers these days, rather than standing them upright & filling them, I cut them in half lenghwise & stuff them that way. It makes them both easier to stuff & easier to eat.

You can stuff them with virtually anything/everything. In fact, one of my favorite recipes, which unfortunately for me I misplaced & have yet to find again, is an Italian variation where the peppers are stuffed with a tuna mixture.

I never used a recipe per se, but use the same stuffing I do for stuffed cabbage. Ground meat, onions, an egg, a couple cloves of garlic, some rice. Lots of sweek paprika, a pinch of hot if you like it. Then into a pot and cover with a container of chicken broth and a can of tomatoes with more paprika. Bring to a simmer, then turn to low and let it go from an hour to all day. Even though there is rice in it, the juices are so good that you may want mashed potatoes, a good loaf of hearty bread, more rice, or noodles to soak them up. If your tastes run that way, you can throw in a can of saurkraut or a smoked sausage (i.e., something like keilbasa), cut up to add flavor to the sauce.

Unfortunately what you put in these dishes depends a lot on what your (what? ex-almost-never-step-mother-in-law)'s ethnic background was. But, in fact, almost any meat loaf or meat ball type recipe will do. You can also make great vegetarian versions usuing rice, couscous, or taboule. These can be eaten cold, as a salad, or cooked.

If it is meat, it may depend on where your husband lived and how old he is. When I was a kid and my mom made them, the only ground meat available was beef.

They can also be baked in the oven or done in a crockpot.

I'm sure we aren't being very helpful, but this is one of those dishes that isn't really a "recipe". It is something we learn from moms, mothers-in-law, and friends. If you still know the woman, invite her over to teach you.

Thanks everyone! I ended up roasting the peppers 1st for 20 min. at 400. I sauteed 1/2 a vidalia onion and 2 cloves of garlic in a little EVOO. Added 1/2lb lean ground sirloin and then 3/4 cup of almost cooked rice. Salt, pepper, italian seasoning and tomato sauce. I stuffed them with the mixture and topped with a little more sauce, mozzarella, fresh parmesan and bread crumbs. They were GREAT! The only thing I would have added was to put a little sauce on the plate with the pepper since hubby likes sauce.

May be next time you may try this one.

SAUSAGE and LENTIL STUFFED PEPPERS

6 Medium red bell peppers
1 Pound bulk Italian sausage (I like sweet hot Italian sausage)
½ Cup chopped onion
1 Can (10 1/2 ounces) PROGRESSO lentil soup
1 Cup cooked rice
¾ Cup PROGRESSO Italian style bread crumbs, divided usage
2 Tablespoons PROGRESSO grated parmesan cheese, divided usage
3 Tablespoons butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350 f.
2. Fill large saucepan half-full with water; bring to boil. Cut peppers lengthwise; and remove seeds. Place peppers in water. Boils 3 minutes; and drain.
3. In large skillet, brown sausage and onion; drain. Stir in soup, rice, ½ cup bread crumbs and 1-tablespoon parmesan cheese.
4. Fill peppers with sausage mixture; place in large shallow baking dish. Cover with foil.
5. Bake 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove foil.
In small bowl, combine butter, remaining 1/4- cup bread crumbs and remaining 1- tablespoon parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over peppers. Bake uncovered 5 minutes.

I don't know about CassieKate, but I'm definitely going to try yours, Guts!

(lot of sausage and lentil things going on here, these days!)

Thanks!

Lee

The June 20th Food Section of The Washington Post had a very interesting stuffed pepper recipe specifically meant for summer's warm temps. I can't wait to try it!!

The stuffing consists of chopped Giardiniera (those Italian pickled vegetable medleys), capers, breadcrumbs, capers, cheeses, & tomatoes. The peppers are stuffed & cooked, but then served at room temp.

Sounds perfect for a summer antipasto spread.

Here's the link to the recipe. Hope it works.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2007/06/20/stuffed-peppers/

Last edited:
I like plain rice stuffing. With sauteed onion, carots and some sweet peppers finely choped.

CassieKate said:
Thanks everyone! I ended up roasting the peppers 1st for 20 min. at 400. I sauteed 1/2 a vidalia onion and 2 cloves of garlic in a little EVOO. Added 1/2lb lean ground sirloin and then 3/4 cup of almost cooked rice. Salt, pepper, italian seasoning and tomato sauce. I stuffed them with the mixture and topped with a little more sauce, mozzarella, fresh parmesan and bread crumbs. They were GREAT! The only thing I would have added was to put a little sauce on the plate with the pepper since hubby likes sauce.

CassieKate,
I have a couple of questions about this recipe.... First did you cook the meat with the onion, garlic, ect.. or did you stuff the pepper raw and then cook it in the oven ? Next question is how long did you cook the peppers after you stuffed them ? I can not wait to try this as it sounds great...

Thanks in advance,
Jim

Just about the most wonderful thing I ever stuffed a bell pepper with was left over jambayla. You could make a small batch, enough to stuff about 6 or 8 peppers, with Zatarain's.

Jim, I first roasted the peppers by themselves. I then sauteed the onion and garlic until they were soft. To the garlic/onion mixture, I added my lean ground beef and browned it. Then added rice, kosher salt, pepper, italian seasonings to taste and tomato sauce. I stuffed them 3/4 of the way full of the beef mixture, added a little more tomato sauce and then topped with mozzarella, parmesan and breadcrumbs. Then I baked until the cheese melts. The only thing different I would do is to put about a half cup or so of sauce on the plate and top with the pepper so it is more saucey! ha

Back
Top Bottom