"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: How Do You Like Your Stuffing/Dressing?
I call it stuffing. 73 57.94%
I call it dressing. 41 32.54%
I prefer bread. 53 42.06%
I prefer cornbread. 32 25.40%
I prefer rice. 7 5.56%
I stuff the bird. 39 30.95%
I use a casserole. 57 45.24%
I like my stuffing/dressing moist. 96 76.19%
I like my stuffing/dressing dry. 11 8.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

From what I have heard, the danger of food poisoning is only if the bird is stuffed, then refrigerated for a length of time before roasting. I have never heard of anyone having problems when they stuffed the turkey right before roasting. If I recall correctly, you used to be able to buy prestuffed frozen turkeys for awhile (can you now--I haven't seen any) and I think that might have also been a problem.

Barbara

Old 10-08-2007, 05:27 PM   #22
Head Chef

Stuffing, in the bird, moist with that crunchy layer.

Give me the stuffing and the gravy, and you can keep the rest of Thanksgiving dinner.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm another one in the "stuffing" if it's in the bird and "dressing" if it's cooked outside the bird.

I prepare the one that's been served in my family for generations...plain bread crumbs, milk, butter, eggs, celery, green pepper, onion, sage, salt and pepper. I usually have to slap Buck's hands when I mix it up. He claims he's testing for seasoning.

I like it moist but not wet and cooked in the bird. The overflow (I always make extra.) is cooked in a covered casserole. I also make a casserole of cornbread dressing because I enjoy the taste cornbread gives it.

Even though it's only been Buck and me celebrating the holiday in recent years, I still prepare the vast array of dishes I did when all the children were home. There's nothing like leftovers. Love Thanksgiving and all the tasty traditions that come with it.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:40 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by flukx View Post
I use a slowcooker for my dressing/stuffing (either term for me). Bread cubes, pork sausage, celery, onions, garlic, lots of herbs. Yum.
This sounds interesting. I stuff the turkey, but we love the stuffing most of all, so this sounds like a neat way to make some additional. Or it could be used to make stuffing when you don't have a whole bird to stuff. Can you give us some details? I've never seen a slow-cooker stuffing recipe.

BC
Old 10-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Even though it's only been Buck and me celebrating the holiday in recent years, I still prepare the vast array of dishes I did when all the children were home. There's nothing like leftovers. Love Thanksgiving and all the tasty traditions that come with it.
Same here! Just because it is only the two of us doesn't mean the Thanksgiving meal has to shrink. Thanksgiving leftovers are the best!

Barbara
Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

The danger of food poisoning is present from the stuffing in the turkey cavity if the turkey is not cooked long enough to bring the internal temperature of the stuffing up to a minimum temperature of 161F.

The raw turkey juices run into the stuffing, making it necessary to cook it as much as the turkey.

Since it's such a large mass, the turkey meat tends to dry out by the time the stuffing gets hot enough.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Thanks Andy! I guess that's why I cook my turkey in a bag (moist and perfect every time) and my dressing in a casserole. Well, that and not wanting to fool with stuffing the darn thing!

Barbara
Old 10-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #28
Contest Winner

Smile

I just like eating Stuffing/Dressing and then its time for FOOTBALL/SLEEP TIME ! WHAT A tripta
Old 10-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Odd poll question, since it was two part. Dressing or stuffing, and do we like it dry or moist.
So my opinion is that I call it stuffing, and prefer it moist on the inside of the bird and crunchy on the outside. Happy Thanksgiving Canada! Oh and thanks for the cold air (NOT) ;)
Old 10-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon

It actually has 4 parts. I don't see it as odd, since multiple choices were allowed.

Barbara