"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How Do You Like Your Stuffing/Dressing?
I call it stuffing. 73 57.94%
I call it dressing. 41 32.54%
I prefer bread. 53 42.06%
I prefer cornbread. 32 25.40%
I prefer rice. 7 5.56%
I stuff the bird. 39 30.95%
I use a casserole. 57 45.24%
I like my stuffing/dressing moist. 96 76.19%
I like my stuffing/dressing dry. 11 8.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 AM   #61
Assistant Cook

We call it dressing. I love my mom's oyster dressing made with french bread, lots of green onions & parsley. Oysters, too, of course. But I also have a fondness of really moist cornbread dressing w/o sausage. For the past 5 or 6 years, I've been trying to re-create a recipe of a dressing that I had years & years ago, but still no luck.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:50 AM   #62
Senior Cook

I use cornbread and herb croutons, turkey stock, dried cranberries, mushroom soup, celery/onions/green peppers/garlic, Bob Evans or Jimmy Dean bulk sausage. I bake the spices into the cornbread which creates even distribution throughout the dressing. I bake mine in a casserole.

My Mom always stuffed her turkeys and we never got sick.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:01 AM   #63
Senior Cook

The turkey sandwiches do it for me.. I love the turkey sandwiches!!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #64
Assistant Cook

I use the boxed, seasoned breadcube mix and add fried, bulk sausage, onions & celery to it. Then I stuff the bird...at both ends. Since we haven't had Thanksgiving dinners here, for a few years, I end up taking the finished bird to one of my kids' houses for the holiday. This year, I'll be having dinner here, with our son's family, since everyone else has moved out of the area. At least I only have to make a couple of things, and they'll bring the rest! ;o)
Old 11-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #65
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Dressing sounds like something that goes on the outside and we know where it goes.

I call it stuffing.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #66
Head Chef

Now that I have voted. Stuffing, moist, bread, in the bird. I realize that may not be how I like it but more like how I get it everything Thanksgiving. I don't cook the meal but the traditional stuffing we grew up with is served.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:19 PM   #67
Assistant Cook

We don't like stuffing in our family, either. We always have a wild rice dish with mushrooms and pecans or walnuts.

There are a lot of stuffing threads here, I think this is the third one I've posted on. I feel like I'm really complaining a lot about stuffing today!!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #68
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
We don't like stuffing in our family, either. We always have a wild rice dish with mushrooms and pecans or walnuts.

There are a lot of stuffing threads here, I think this is the third one I've posted on. I feel like I'm really complaining a lot about stuffing today!!
The only thing I dont' like about stuffing/dressing is that I can't seem to make it as good as my parents, or grandparents did, and they are gone now and can't teach me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:30 AM   #69
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
The only thing I dont' like about stuffing/dressing is that I can't seem to make it as good as my parents, or grandparents did, and they are gone now and can't teach me.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I was fortunate that my mom gave me lots of her cooking "secrets" before she died.

The only thing I don't like about stuffing/dressing is that it is not great for my diet, and that there is never enough! LOL

Barbara
Old 11-08-2007, 05:10 AM   #70
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I'm another one in the "stuffing" if it's in the bird and "dressing" if it's cooked outside the bird.

I prepare the one that's been served in my family for generations......
Yes, me too. Our family recipe is called dressing. It's mostly cornbread with a few biscuits and slices of "light bread", along with onion, bell pepper, celery, a couple of eggs, broth, sage and salt. While any other dishes are subject to change for a holiday meal, this dressing is always there. Now in addition there might be oyster dressing (we are from Louisiana originally) or some other new type. But the traditional one is never left out.

We cook it in a casserole and like it moist, but not wet. The top has a bit of a crust. Dressing doesn't get stuffed in the bird because as often as not the bird is a Greenberg's Smoked Turkey. My grandparents started getting those some 50 years ago.

Dressing and cranberry sauce are my favourite parts of the meal.