"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: How Do You Like Your Stuffing/Dressing?
I call it stuffing. 73 57.94%
I call it dressing. 41 32.54%
I prefer bread. 53 42.06%
I prefer cornbread. 32 25.40%
I prefer rice. 7 5.56%
I stuff the bird. 39 30.95%
I use a casserole. 57 45.24%
I like my stuffing/dressing moist. 96 76.19%
I like my stuffing/dressing dry. 11 8.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2007, 03:19 PM   #71
Sous Chef

call it what we will, we are all thankful for the food in front of us and family around us. where is that turkey anyways?!? actually I call it stuffing because I do stuff the bird. My mom and my son usually fight over the skin that was covering the stuffing, and my sister swoops in and steals it!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:04 AM   #72
Assistant Cook

Thumbs up Stuffing/Dressing

All this talk of stuffing/dressing is quite interesting, especially as only yesterday I watched a 'Christmas' program that showed one of our well known Aussie Chefs Maggie Beer cooking a turkey and making the most amazing stuffing using a combo of dried apples (reconstituted) verjuice, onion, prunes, chicken livers, butter, olive oil, flat leaf parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, fresh white breadcrumbs, sea salt and ground black pepper. After making up this lovely moist stuffing and putting it inside the turkey, she then placed a large apple in after the stuffing to hold it all in place.

I will definitely be giving this recipe a go, although as it so hot at Christmas here in Australia, we usually have a barbecue along with loads of seafood, prawns, oysters, scallops etc etc. Who wants to be sweating away in the kitchen when it's over 40c (100F+)

P.S. I have been introduced to the lovely American tradition of Thanksgiving by my lovely american daughter in law who comes from North Carolina. We now get to celebrate Thanksgiving each year here as it is such a special occasion for my daughter in law.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 AM   #73
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by germania View Post
I will definitely be giving this recipe a go, although as it so hot at Christmas here in Australia, we usually have a barbecue along with loads of seafood, prawns, oysters, scallops etc etc. Who wants to be sweating away in the kitchen when it's over 40c (100F+)
We do the same but not bbq'd. The only hot thing on our table is normally the ham, but that is always dependent on the weather. Oh and of course the Christmas pud at the end.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #74
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfriend View Post
I use the boxed, seasoned breadcube mix and add fried, bulk sausage, onions & celery to it. Then I stuff the bird...at both ends. Since we haven't had Thanksgiving dinners here, for a few years, I end up taking the finished bird to one of my kids' houses for the holiday. This year, I'll be having dinner here, with our son's family, since everyone else has moved out of the area. At least I only have to make a couple of things, and they'll bring the rest! ;o)
Well, after looking all over, I could no longer find the Kellogg's boxed mix, so I ended up using Pepperidge Farm's Herb mix. It was just as good, but I had to figure out how much to use...instead of pouring the whole box in the bowl.

See the books I've set free at:
http://bookcrossing.com/referral/dollfriend
dollfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #75
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
dressing is what i put on my salad.... stuffing is for stuffing!
Old 02-17-2008, 02:28 AM   #76
Master Chef

my family calls it both interchangably.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #77
Assistant Cook

If we put it in the turkey we call it stuffing, if it is in a dish by itself we call it dressing. I like to stuff it in the bird. and I prefer to make it with bread or croutons. I was actually looking for a good oyster dressing recipe, I have always made the bread type and would add sausage to it with celery, onions, seasonings and of course broth depending on how moist or dry your preferences are.