Stuffing/Dressing Poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How Do You Like Your Stuffing/Dressing?

• I call it stuffing.

Votes: 73 58.4%
  • I call it dressing.

Votes: 40 32.0%
  • I prefer bread.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I prefer cornbread.

Votes: 32 25.6%
  • I prefer rice.

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • I stuff the bird.

Votes: 39 31.2%
  • I use a casserole.

Votes: 57 45.6%
  • I like my stuffing/dressing moist.

Votes: 96 76.8%
  • I like my stuffing/dressing dry.

Votes: 11 8.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And the leftover mashed potatoes and dressing covered in gravy? :cool: Sometimes I think the day after Thanksgiving is better than Thanksgiving! LOL

:)Barbara

I agree! Leftover are the best! I came home after missing our turkey dinner with my brother and made cornish hen Monday...a great substitution for 2 people. I unfortunately had to make Stove Top...my girlfriend likes it :sick:

Interesting. I've been eating stuffing from the turkey most years for over 40 years, since I'm using my mom's recipe :) with never a problem. The stuffing always comes out steaming. The dressing in the casserole just doesn't have the same flavor without the turkey juices in it.

The fact that the stuffing "...always comes out steaming." tells the tale. The stuffing got hot enough to kill off any harmful bacteria that may have been present.

When I do the dressing in a casserole, I add turkey broth to give it that 'in turkey' flavor.

LEFTOVERS! That's the only reason I have Thanksgiving at my house and tell everyone not to make anything - :LOL: Use the cranberry relish as a spread, just a LITTLE turkey, tons of dressing, white bread - YUM Breakfast is always a bowl of slightly nuked broccoli casserole. My ex MIL made the BEST broccoli casserole!

LEFTOVERS! That's the only reason I have Thanksgiving at my house and tell everyone not to make anything - :LOL:
I don't blame you! The day after Thanksgiving is kind of a let-down when you eat somewhere else and don't have leftovers the next day!

:)Barbara

When I do the dressing in a casserole, I add turkey broth to give it that 'in turkey' flavor.

as well as i. another trick i employ is to use turkey sausage in the "stuffing".

while i realize that it isn't stuffed into anything, i prefer a casserole type, but still call it stuffing.

i've found i prefer to make it in a glass baking dish.

that way you can control the amount of liquid added initailly, by eye-ing it, and you will end up with a combination of a crusty surface, with a wetter bottom layer. something for everyone's tastes.

Stuffing & gravy are my favorites too. I do like dressing when the stuffing runs out. I like it moist with the crunchy layer. My favorite stuffing includes bread, butter, sausage, apricots, almonds, celery, onion & Grand Marnier.

In our family the definitions always were that "stuffing" was dryer & more "fluffy", while dressing was moister & more solid. Since dad liked stuffing & mom prefered dressing, they used to take turns every year.

Since these days Thanksgiving is just husband & I, & he's not a big stuffing/dressing fan, we roast our organic free-range bird without it & I try whatever stuffing recipe tempts my fancy every year baked in a separate casserole. Since we have a very proliferous chestnut tree on the farm, some years I use my own chestnuts for a chestnut/brandy stuffing; other years I do a cornbread variation; still others I take the easy way out with just a bag of commercial cubes with a lot of home additions. It always comes out great.

I must say though, that the one stuffing I definitely did not care for was oyster stuffing. I just couldn't warm up to the seafood/turkey thing.

I think that the stuffing is the best part of Thanksgiving. A pile of stuffing drizzled with turkey gravy seasoned with pepper would just suit me fine. I like other parts of the meal, but to me stuffing is the ultimate comfort food!!

Moist and Dressing,
for those eating turkey they stuff it, I usually put it in foil and bake it, (same mix though). this year put an egg in there along with the mix just to see what it would be like. turned out well:chef:

We call it dressing and use cornbread along with a bunch of other stuff thrown in. Last year we mixed oyster in the dressing and it turned out really good.

Yum, I agree that the leftovers are the best!!

Stuffing with a little touch of gravy is my absolute favorite Thanksgiving dish. I like it fairly simple lots of veggies (sauteed onion, celery and mushrooms) and sage in my bread casserole stuffing, moistened with turkey broth. Moist yet crunchy on the outside.

And this year I will be making my own cornbread mix. No more bagged stuff. And the reason I can do this, is because I have a grain mill and will be having 50 lbs of corn delivered on the 8th of November. So happy days. Are ya smellin' what the Treklady is cookin'?

If it's in the bird, I call it stuffing because that's what it is. If it's made in a casserole dish, it's dressing. But in general, it's stuffing.

In our family the definitions always were that "stuffing" was dryer & more "fluffy", while dressing was moister & more solid. Since dad liked stuffing & mom prefered dressing, they used to take turns every year.

Since these days Thanksgiving is just husband & I, & he's not a big stuffing/dressing fan, we roast our organic free-range bird without it & I try whatever stuffing recipe tempts my fancy every year baked in a separate casserole. Since we have a very proliferous chestnut tree on the farm, some years I use my own chestnuts for a chestnut/brandy stuffing; other years I do a cornbread variation; still others I take the easy way out with just a bag of commercial cubes with a lot of home additions. It always comes out great.

I must say though, that the one stuffing I definitely did not care for was oyster stuffing. I just couldn't warm up to the seafood/turkey thing.
Not quite where the expression 'neither fish nor fowl' came from, but would seem close enough.

LOL!!! And I do like oysters in their own right. But after 2 attempts & 2 different recipes, I just gave up. Neither husband nor I liked either one. I guess I really just wanted to like it since oyster stuffing seems to be so popular here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Bill - Both husband & I are born & raised Long Islanders (Setauket/Nissequogue area) - both by the water - & you'd think something like this would be 2nd hat, but there was never any oyster or other seafood stuffing at our Thanksgivings. Closest Thanksgiving got to seafood was a big Jumbo Shrimp cocktail - lol!!

Don't know where you're located on the East End, but is Miloski's Turkey Farm still in business?

Last edited:
LOL!!! And I do like oysters in their own right. But after 2 attempts & 2 different recipes, I just gave up. Neither husband nor I liked either one. I guess I really just wanted to like it since oyster stuffing seems to be so popular here in the Mid-Atlantic.

Bill - Both husband & I are born & raised Long Islanders (Setauket/Nissequogue area) - both by the water - & you'd think something like this would be 2nd hat, but there was never any oyster or other seafood stuffing at our Thanksgivings. Closest Thanksgiving got to seafood was a big Jumbo Shrimp cocktail - lol!!

Don't know where you're located on the East End, but is Miloski's Turkey Farm still in business?

They're a bit north and west of us and I think they're sill around (were a year or two ago) but we try and help our local IGA by ordering our 'fresh' turkey from them. Things change, it's getting too built-up out here and the new people are complaining about the lack of street lights and sidewalks. Sure miss those $3 50 pound bags of potato culls.

Last edited:
Oh goodness - please don't get me teary-eyed over the wonderful farm-stands out on the East End. I used to fill the car with everything & anything - on top of what I grew myself at home - lol!!!

The biggest thing I miss down here in VA is the fresh seafood. It's positively abysmal here in the Culpeper/Warrenton area. Sadder than sad. No one seems to even KNOW what fresh seafood is, apart from shrimp & catfish.

Please excuse the delay in my reply but I was weighing the Portugese rolls that I baked some 2 hours ago and calculating the water retention. Shrimp is nothing to sneeze at. We still harvest a fair amount of quahogs and some oysters but the snowshoe flounders are history. The fishery is in a great decline. We count ourselves as being fortunate to be able to buy some Finnan Haddie that's imported from Canada

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom