Stuffing Peppers with rice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the.grilling.greek

Assistant Cook
Hello,
My name is Evan and I love to cook. This is my first entry and I am excited to read your responses.

I read recipes for stuffed peppers and/or tomatoes and they use raw rice to stuff them with. I tried it and the result was not good because the rice was not cooked. Is there a special kind of rice that I must use? Usually the recipes call for long rice.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Evan

Welcome to DC.

Long rice is common. The key is how you cook it after stuffing. Tell us what you did.

In the past I have made stuffed peppers with leftover cooked rice. I always make sure there is some sort of moisture mixed in with the rice. Leftover gravy, diced tomatoes, even cream sauce. As a result I have never had a problem with not having the rice fully cooked. There are many other foods you can place in the pepper such as hamburger, finely diced vegetables, etc. but you do need that moisture to ensure that the rice is edible. The additional foods will also add their own moisture to the pepper.

Welcome to DC. You will get a lot of answers to your dilemma. We love helping new members. This is a forum full of fun and information. So please do stick around. :angel:

Last edited:
Welcome to DC.

When I first started cooking stuffed peppers I used raw rice and raw ground beef to stuff them. I found that if I cooked them till the meat and rice were done they looked like a pillar of filling with a sock that lost it's elastic around the bottom. :ermm: So I started browning my ground beef with my onions, garlic, the diced pepper tops that I trim off, seasonings etc. till cooked. Then I add my cooked rice, some sort of tomato (either chopped fresh, sauce or my favorite is fresh uncooked (or bottled) salsa. Stuff my peppers and place in baking pan with tomato sauce and bake till peppers are tender firm.

img_1465159_0_65d103b8d97148b0def6b9d95a7c07f4.jpg

i also stuff mine with already cooked rice, or left over rice.
When I make stuffed grape leaves ( also using a cooked rice) I add some sunflower seeds the mixture, it kinda counteracts the rice ( if it gets a little mushy from cooking). It gives it an al dente feel without changing the taste.

i also stuff mine with already cooked rice, or left over rice.
When I make stuffed grape leaves ( also using a cooked rice) I add some sunflower seeds the mixture, it kinda counteracts the rice ( if it gets a little mushy from cooking). It gives it an al dente feel without changing the taste.
Have you posted your recipe? If not can you
img_1465176_0_bdec0a1571173cdb465a8b43afe31a81.gif

My personal favorite bell pepper stuffing is leftover jambalaya.

That's brilliant. I had always used leftover chili to stuff peppers, but I'm going to be making a bunch of jambalaya this weekend, but I'll be sure to save some leftovers to try stuffing peppers.

To OP, I would use cooked rice unless the rest of your filling is really watery. Long rice absorbs a bit more than 1.5x its size in water, so if you want it to be fully puffed up, you would have to start with very little rice and a lot of wet ingredients.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC.

When I first started cooking stuffed peppers I used raw rice and raw ground beef to stuff them. I found that if I cooked them till the meat and rice were done they looked like a pillar of filling with a sock that lost it's elastic around the bottom. :ermm: So I started browning my ground beef with my onions, garlic, the diced pepper tops that I trim off, seasonings etc. till cooked. Then I add my cooked rice, some sort of tomato (either chopped fresh, sauce or my favorite is fresh uncooked (or bottled) salsa. Stuff my peppers and place in baking pan with tomato sauce and bake till peppers are tender firm.

img_1465181_0_65d103b8d97148b0def6b9d95a7c07f4.jpg

Agreed. I think stuffed peppers is one of those things that was created to use up leftover, already cooked, ingredients.

Dirty rice, whether leftover or fresh made, makes a good stuffing too. We've used collards to make "cabbage rolls" with dirty rice with a creole tomato sauce.

Since we always had chili with rice in our house, one of my favorite pepper fillings was leftover chili and rice mixed with some cheese. :yum:

But yeah, cooked rice works best.

Last edited:
Here's my recipe for stuffed grape leaves. It's from The Frugal Gourmet cookbook.
1 16 ounce jar grape leaves in brine
3/4 cup long grain rice
1 pound of ground lamb
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp. ground allspice

Rinse and drain grape leaves. Wash the rice and drain.Mix together the the rice, lamb,and seasonings. Blend well.

Place a leaf on a flat surface stem end facing you. Place 3/4 tbsp. (approx) of the mixture in the center of the leaf. roll from the bottom sucking sides in s you roll. Continue until all of the filliong is used .

Place a few of the large unused leaves in the bottom of your pot.Layer the rolled leaves seam sides down very close together in the pot. They should be snug to prevent them floating and opening up.Continue layering until all of the grape leaves are in the pot. Add enough water to ALMOST cover. I place a plate on top of the layers to hold them in place. Cover and simmer for 30 mins.

Mix together the juice of one lemon, 3 cloves of garlic,crushed and 1 tsp. of dried or fresh mint leaves (minced if using fresh). Add water to this mixture to make 1 cup. Pour over the rolled leaves and cook for another 1/2 hour.

These are labor intensive but well worth it. I serve them with plain yogurt for dipping.

In the past I have made stuffed peppers with leftover cooked rice. I always make sure there is some sort of moisture mixed in with the rice. Leftover gravy, diced tomatoes, even cream sauce. As a result I have never had a problem with not having the rice fully cooked. There are many other foods you can place in the pepper such as hamburger, finely diced vegetables, etc. but you do need that moisture to ensure that the rice is edible. The additional foods will also add their own moisture to the pepper.

Welcome to DC. You will get a lot of answers to your dilemma. We love helping new members. This is a forum full of fun and information. So please do stick around. :angel:
I use cooked rice too. (long grain such as Basmati)

Thanks for the replies.
Here is the recipe that I use.

3/4 lb ground beef
1 1/4 cup of rice (using whatever is available at home)
1 large onion
1/2 cup of raisins
1/2 breadcrumbs

1 cup of either: chicken stock, or beer, or white wine. I prefer using white wine.

4 bell peppers
4 medium tomatoes and 2 more tomatoes and 2 more tomatoes.

I removed the tops from the peppers and clean the insides. I remove the tops from the tomatoes too. Carefully I remove the insides of the tomatoes and save the juices. I grate the larger pieces from the tomatoes. Also, I grate the two extra tomatoes and I discard the skins.

I place the peppers and the tomatoes in a large pan. I add about 1/2 teaspoon of sugar in the tomatoes. I drizzle some olive oil on the peppers and tomatoes. I prick the bottoms of the peppers and tomatoes with a fork.

I brown the meat and then add the rice and the tomato juices and the one cup of either chicken stock or beer or wine.

I bring this mixture to a boil then I reduce to a low simmer and cook for about 12 minutes. At about 10 minutes I add the raisins.

I bring the pan next to the meat/rice mixture and using a soup spoon I fill the peppers and tomatoes to the top. I sprinkle the breadcrumbs at the top of each mixture. Then I cover them with their matching tops.

Usually I have sliced carrots and potatoes cut into smallish pieces placed in between the peppers and tomatoes. Here I add one cup of water, the juice of two tomatoes, 1/2 olive oil and I also sprinkle salt and pepper. I also drizzle some olive oil on the tops of the vegetables.

I preheat the oven to 250(F) and I place the pan for about 1 hour and 40 minutes. I check the pan after one hour to make sure there is some liquid at the bottom. If it is dry, I add some water.

It is ready when the tops are nicely browned and that happens after 90 minutes.

This is a great recipe, HOWEVER, in Greece they have two recipes. One with ground beef and raw rice and the other just raw rice. I tried the raw rice and it was not eatable.

Evan

Welcome to DC, Evan!

Your recipe sounds good, but rather time consuming. :chef: I would leave out the raisins, but that's just me. JMO.

Stuffed peppers is something I make with leftovers - I've used cooked leftover rice, barley, and quinoa. Cooked ground beef, or sausage. I've made them with leftover chili, and leftover black beans or kidney beans. The only constant I look for other than the peppers themselves and some kind of filler, is a little ground meat and a tomato based sauce.

But I live alone, so as long as I've got a nice bell pepper - red, green, orange or yellow, it doesn't matter to me - I stuff it with some leftovers and make a meal for one. ;):LOL:I like the peppers tender crisp and the fillings already cooked, so it only takes maybe 20 -30 minutes at 350, cut in half lengthwise.

Last edited:
Ms. Mofet: Stuffed Red Bells

Welcome to DC.

img_1465159_0_65d103b8d97148b0def6b9d95a7c07f4.jpg

Good Morning,

A friend had given me some extra large red bell peppers and I am going to stuff 2 of them, more than enough for 2 of us ..

Planning to use a dill, lemon scented rice with prawns (shrimp ) for the stuffing ..

Your recipe is wonderful, however, just picked up a few kilos of prawns and wish to use some while fresh .. Greek Style ..

Thanks for you récipe !!

Have a lovely weekend ..

That sounds like a delicious stuffing, Sagittarius! Too delicious to mask the delicate flavor of the shrimp with that of the flavor of bell pepper.

I've stuffed my peppers recently with Mexican-inspired flavors. I did a seasoned chicken/corn/black beans/rice/tomato stuffing that we really enjoyed. I've also given the ground beef a chili-type flavor before adding beans and rice. Both played quite nicely with the flavor of the pepper.

That sounds like a delicious stuffing, Sagittarius! Too delicious to mask the delicate flavor of the shrimp with that of the flavor of bell pepper.

I've stuffed my peppers recently with Mexican-inspired flavors. I did a seasoned chicken/corn/black beans/rice/tomato stuffing that we really enjoyed. I've also given the ground beef a chili-type flavor before adding beans and rice. Both played quite nicely with the flavor of the pepper.

Have you tried substituting poblanos for bell peppers? I make that switch for most everything but seems particularly applicable to your Mexican-inspired stuffed bell peppers.

Back
Top Bottom