"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No eggs here either. Stuffing is my absolute favorite Thanksgiving dish, I like mine the traditional recipe. We have a couple of recent threads with some great tips and recipes. Good luck with your first stuffing/dressing/filling!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:32 PM   #12
Master Chef

Stuffing/dressing is so traditional for most of us. My mom always used an egg or two to "bind it". But some only believe in corn bread, some have to have sausage, or oysters or .... it can go into eternity. We all have our individual style and our family style, and none of it is wrong. I think I've mentioned this many times. Being different isn't being wrong!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
Master Chef

Eggs in stuffing make it too much like bread pudding to me.

I dont care for that.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Stuffing/dressing is so traditional for most of us. My mom always used an egg or two to "bind it". But some only believe in corn bread, some have to have sausage, or oysters or .... it can go into eternity. We all have our individual style and our family style, and none of it is wrong. I think I've mentioned this many times. Being different isn't being wrong!
You are so right about that. If you like it then it is right.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #15
Master Chef

I put two eggs in my stuffing, and it never comes out like bread pudding. It is light, and savory. The texture depends on how much broth I've added to the stuffing before it's cooked. More broth makes it more gooey. Less broth makes it more dry. The egg is not noticeable, except to help it hold together just a bit.

Have you ever made egg-bread?, or brushed egg-wash onto, or into a pie crust? The egg serves to hold more of the moisture, without being noticeable.

Add an egg to a lb. of ground beef. You won't be able to notice it in your hamburger patty, except that the patty will be more juicy, and won't shrink hardly at all.

The only thing you have to watch for when adding egg to stuffing is that you have to season and taste the stuffing to get the seasonings right before you fold in the raw egg.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The stuffing that I grew up with in New England was more fluffy, since moving south I have found that stuffing (aka "dressing") is a more moist affair. Many stuffings I see here are more like a savory bread pudding, moist and containing eggs.

I never understood where the term "dressing" came from.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've never used eggs in my stuffing either.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I use one egg, just because Mom always did, I may leave it out this year...also thinking of putting it in the crockpot, would keep it moist.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I couldn't tell you how my mother made her most excellent dressing, which she stuffed, but we called it dressing. If there was an egg or two in it it went unnoticed. As with anything, moderation is the key unless you want to totally change the makeup of whatever you are making. No need to be turning your stuffing into quiche or a frittata, lol.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #20
Master Chef

I always use a couple of eggs to bind the stuffing, like PF says, because my mom did. I think it tends to be more of a farm thing. The old girls used what was available and to them free. My Italian "city" friends always used day old Italian bread and a little milk to soak the bread. That was strange for me at first. Ya eat what yer Mama fed ya!

Tags
eggs