"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-23-2011, 09:44 AM   #21
Assistant Cook

This is all great stuff, and the egg debate is clearly falling in two camps - to egg or not to egg. The consensus seems to be "do what you want." Or, what your mom did at least. Since I don't have a family traditional recipe to draw from, I'm looking to start my own tradition.

Recipes I've researched call for between 1 and 3 eggs, if it calls for them at all. I'm personally going to leave it out this year, see what kind of reaction I get and go from there. I think using freshly toasted bread and herbs from the garden will be more than enough to put it over the top.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #22
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
This is all great stuff, and the egg debate is clearly falling in two camps - to egg or not to egg. The consensus seems to be "do what you want." Or, what your mom did at least. Since I don't have a family traditional recipe to draw from, I'm looking to start my own tradition.

Recipes I've researched call for between 1 and 3 eggs, if it calls for them at all. I'm personally going to leave it out this year, see what kind of reaction I get and go from there. I think using freshly toasted bread and herbs from the garden will be more than enough to put it over the top.
Make two small casseroles and let your panel of experts decide!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #23
Master Chef

My family (mom and aunts) ALWAYS added eggs. BUT it seemed that all you had to do was SMELL the stuffing and the gassy emissions started. I was the black sheep and decided that when I started making the stuffing I would try no eggs and hub and girls like it that way.

I don't understand the binding thing. I like it to be a pile of stuffing. Unless you want to slice it like a loaf why bother. And if you stuff the turkey it comes out in clumps anyway.

To each his own. I have had egg stuffing and it tastes very good. Taste was never my issue. This is just my opinion. Also without eggs you don't have to worry about being so careful with the cooking and storing issues that arise from eggs.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
My family (mom and aunts) ALWAYS added eggs. BUT it seemed that all you had to do was SMELL the stuffing and the gassy emissions started. I was the black sheep and decided that when I started making the stuffing I would try no eggs and hub and girls like it that way.
Hmm, I'm starting to think those gassy emissions might induce my in-laws to leave a little earlier than normal... starting to rethink the eggs
Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
Hmm, I'm starting to think those gassy emissions might induce my in-laws to leave a little earlier than normal... starting to rethink the eggs
Then again it could totally backfire if they decide to stick around!!
Old 11-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Backfires ARE the problem!!
Old 11-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
My mother was Danish and thought bread stuffing was something North Americans came up with during the Great Depression as a way to save money. She stuffed holiday birds by making meatloaf in the cavity.

I hated bread stuffing as a kid, when I got it at someone's house or in a restaurant. Thought it was nasty stuff.

I started to enjoy stuffing when I followed a recipe in Joy of Cooking. It has soft bread crumbs, celery, onion, apples, raisins, melted butter, seasonings and I can't remember anything else. I make the soft bread crumbs in the food processor from saved up heels of whole grain bread.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:27 PM   #29
Head Chef

I have never put eggs in stuffing. I found out after years of making it that my mother, who I learned from put eggs in hers. I must have missed that step. I never missed the eggs thought.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Interesting. I had never heard of eggs in stuffing before I read this thread.

My grandmother just used pounds of butter! I cut that back and use stock instead. It's always nice and moist and holds together just fine.

Tags
eggs