"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-22-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Stuffing - What's up with eggs?

I think egg is supposed to act as a binder. I've never used egg in stuffing.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I think egg is supposed to act as a binder. I've never used egg in stuffing.
I feel like it would make it too much like a quiche, or, I don't know, french toast. Seems gross to me. I also think I want big chunks of bread, like 3/4" cubes. Not those little croutons everyone uses.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
I feel like it would make it too much like a quiche, or, I don't know, french toast. Seems gross to me. I also think I want big chunks of bread, like 3/4" cubes. Not those little croutons everyone uses.
It's your stuffing. You get to choose. I don't think the chunk size will make a huge difference. They get all wet and mushy regardless.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
Senior Cook

My grocer's bakery sells "stuffing bread" that looks like it would be awesome for making stuffing. It's not the tiny croutons like Stove Top or Pepperidge Farm uses. These "croutons" are about 3 or 4 times the size. So anyway, you might check your grocer's bakery dept to see what they have. I've never made stuffing before as my sister in law has that area locked down on Thanksgiving. I agree that eggs just don't seem like they have a place in stuffing, I like stuffing to be moist but crumbly.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
My grocer's bakery sells "stuffing bread" that looks like it would be awesome for making stuffing. It's not the tiny croutons like Stove Top or Pepperidge Farm uses. These "croutons" are about 3 or 4 times the size. So anyway, you might check your grocer's bakery dept to see what they have. I've never made stuffing before as my sister in law has that area locked down on Thanksgiving. I agree that eggs just don't seem like they have a place in stuffing, I like stuffing to be moist but crumbly.
Sweet, I'll check that out. Otherwise, I might just get a loaf of sourdough or crusty Italian and bake some cubes myself.

Moist but crumbly. Oh yeah...
Old 11-22-2011, 02:13 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

We get stuffing bread in whole loaves.

I check the in-store bakery for day old and clearance bread - perfect for stuffing.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effington View Post
I've never really made was stuffing (or dressing, if that's what you call it, but I don't call it that, so we'll go with stuffing).
Stuffing and Dressing are the same thing. It's called "Stuffing" if
it is put in (stuffed) the Turkey to cook it. It's called "Dressing" if
it is cooked in a pan.

As far as Eggs are concerned....I think they would only be used as
as "Binder" ..one or two Eggs should be enough. If you want to
make a Quiche; you would probably need at least a dozen eggs.

As far as what kind of bread to use; I like to mix it up and use
several types; including.....Rye, Wheat, White, and Sourdough.

As always.....whatever you are cooking; Make it your own!
Don't get bogged down on things being Traditional or Authentic.
Make it the way YOU like it.....and try something different,
Life's too short to be "Stuck if a food Rut". So try something
different; you might like it...you might not....either way you will
learn something.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
Master Chef

I never use eggs in stuffing/dressing. To me all they add are gas emissions later!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I have to say, I call it stuffing whether it's cooked in the bird or not. "Dressing," to me, is balsamic vinaigrette (and more of a southern US term for stuffing). But the difference definitely makes sense.

I agree completely about making it my own, and I'm almost never stuck in a food rut, as you say. But I do like to hear about what other people like to do, get suggestions and recipes, then take the elements I like and put my own twist into it. Because I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and I'm all about doing things the most awesome way possible... while still keeping it my own.

This community is great place for that. How about additional stuffing ingredients - onions and celery seems like they're mandatory, but anyone ever try something different? I think a little chopped red bell pepper might be fun in there for crunch and color, especially with a sausage stuffing. Mushrooms would be good too. As for herbs, I grow most of the classics... thyme, parsley, and sage will definitely make their way in there.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Some stuffings can be sweet AND savory. Some have apples, cranberries and/or raisins in it. I think stuffings leave a lot of room for creativity. I've eaten so many different kinds but oddly enough have never made any myself.

Tags
eggs