Stuffing - What's up with eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think egg is supposed to act as a binder. I've never used egg in stuffing.

I feel like it would make it too much like a quiche, or, I don't know, french toast. Seems gross to me. I also think I want big chunks of bread, like 3/4" cubes. Not those little croutons everyone uses.

I feel like it would make it too much like a quiche, or, I don't know, french toast. Seems gross to me. I also think I want big chunks of bread, like 3/4" cubes. Not those little croutons everyone uses.

It's your stuffing. You get to choose. I don't think the chunk size will make a huge difference. They get all wet and mushy regardless.

My grocer's bakery sells "stuffing bread" that looks like it would be awesome for making stuffing. It's not the tiny croutons like Stove Top or Pepperidge Farm uses. These "croutons" are about 3 or 4 times the size. So anyway, you might check your grocer's bakery dept to see what they have. I've never made stuffing before as my sister in law has that area locked down on Thanksgiving. I agree that eggs just don't seem like they have a place in stuffing, I like stuffing to be moist but crumbly.

My grocer's bakery sells "stuffing bread" that looks like it would be awesome for making stuffing. It's not the tiny croutons like Stove Top or Pepperidge Farm uses. These "croutons" are about 3 or 4 times the size. So anyway, you might check your grocer's bakery dept to see what they have. I've never made stuffing before as my sister in law has that area locked down on Thanksgiving. I agree that eggs just don't seem like they have a place in stuffing, I like stuffing to be moist but crumbly.

Sweet, I'll check that out. Otherwise, I might just get a loaf of sourdough or crusty Italian and bake some cubes myself.

Moist but crumbly. Oh yeah...

We get stuffing bread in whole loaves.

I check the in-store bakery for day old and clearance bread - perfect for stuffing.

I've never really made was stuffing (or dressing, if that's what you call it, but I don't call it that, so we'll go with stuffing).

Stuffing and Dressing are the same thing. It's called "Stuffing" if
it is put in (stuffed) the Turkey to cook it. It's called "Dressing" if
it is cooked in a pan.

As far as Eggs are concerned....I think they would only be used as
as "Binder" ..one or two Eggs should be enough. If you want to
make a Quiche; you would probably need at least a dozen eggs.

As far as what kind of bread to use; I like to mix it up and use
several types; including.....Rye, Wheat, White, and Sourdough.

As always.....whatever you are cooking; Make it your own!
Don't get bogged down on things being Traditional or Authentic.
Make it the way YOU like it.....and try something different,
Life's too short to be "Stuck if a food Rut". So try something
different; you might like it...you might not....either way you will
learn something.:yum:

I never use eggs in stuffing/dressing. To me all they add are gas emissions later! :huh: :angel:

I have to say, I call it stuffing whether it's cooked in the bird or not. "Dressing," to me, is balsamic vinaigrette (and more of a southern US term for stuffing). But the difference definitely makes sense.

I agree completely about making it my own, and I'm almost never stuck in a food rut, as you say. But I do like to hear about what other people like to do, get suggestions and recipes, then take the elements I like and put my own twist into it. Because I'm also a bit of a perfectionist and I'm all about doing things the most awesome way possible... while still keeping it my own.

This community is great place for that. How about additional stuffing ingredients - onions and celery seems like they're mandatory, but anyone ever try something different? I think a little chopped red bell pepper might be fun in there for crunch and color, especially with a sausage stuffing. Mushrooms would be good too. As for herbs, I grow most of the classics... thyme, parsley, and sage will definitely make their way in there.

Last edited:
Some stuffings can be sweet AND savory. Some have apples, cranberries and/or raisins in it. I think stuffings leave a lot of room for creativity. I've eaten so many different kinds but oddly enough have never made any myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
No eggs here either. Stuffing is my absolute favorite Thanksgiving dish, I like mine the traditional recipe. We have a couple of recent threads with some great tips and recipes. Good luck with your first stuffing/dressing/filling!

Last edited:
Stuffing/dressing is so traditional for most of us. My mom always used an egg or two to "bind it". But some only believe in corn bread, some have to have sausage, or oysters or .... it can go into eternity. We all have our individual style and our family style, and none of it is wrong. I think I've mentioned this many times. Being different isn't being wrong!

Stuffing/dressing is so traditional for most of us. My mom always used an egg or two to "bind it". But some only believe in corn bread, some have to have sausage, or oysters or .... it can go into eternity. We all have our individual style and our family style, and none of it is wrong. I think I've mentioned this many times. Being different isn't being wrong!
You are so right about that. If you like it then it is right.

I put two eggs in my stuffing, and it never comes out like bread pudding. It is light, and savory. The texture depends on how much broth I've added to the stuffing before it's cooked. More broth makes it more gooey. Less broth makes it more dry. The egg is not noticeable, except to help it hold together just a bit.

Have you ever made egg-bread?, or brushed egg-wash onto, or into a pie crust? The egg serves to hold more of the moisture, without being noticeable.

Add an egg to a lb. of ground beef. You won't be able to notice it in your hamburger patty, except that the patty will be more juicy, and won't shrink hardly at all.

The only thing you have to watch for when adding egg to stuffing is that you have to season and taste the stuffing to get the seasonings right before you fold in the raw egg.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The stuffing that I grew up with in New England was more fluffy, since moving south I have found that stuffing (aka "dressing") is a more moist affair. Many stuffings I see here are more like a savory bread pudding, moist and containing eggs.

I never understood where the term "dressing" came from.

I use one egg, just because Mom always did, I may leave it out this year...also thinking of putting it in the crockpot, would keep it moist.

I couldn't tell you how my mother made her most excellent dressing, which she stuffed, but we called it dressing. If there was an egg or two in it it went unnoticed. As with anything, moderation is the key unless you want to totally change the makeup of whatever you are making. No need to be turning your stuffing into quiche or a frittata, lol.

I always use a couple of eggs to bind the stuffing, like PF says, because my mom did. I think it tends to be more of a farm thing. The old girls used what was available and to them free. My Italian "city" friends always used day old Italian bread and a little milk to soak the bread. That was strange for me at first. Ya eat what yer Mama fed ya!

Back
Top Bottom