Sub for tomato based BBQ sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabbur

Master Chef
I have a recipe for tuna fritters made with BBQ sauce. Any suggestions for subs for the BBQ sauce that is not tomato based?

Recipe: 1 6oz can tuna, 2/3 c. oatmeal, 1 egg, 3 Tbs BBQ sauce, 3 Tbs chopped green onion, salt, pepper, seasonings to taste (I usually use Mrs Dash season blend or Old Bay)

You can replace bbq sauce with mayonaise or yoghurt. For a more balance taste, add some chopped celery to the mixture.

How about a Chipolte Remoulade Sauce

Chipotle Remoulade Sauce

3 egg yolks
1 tablespoon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1 pinch pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup grapeseed oil
1 1/2 chipotle pepper -- seeded and minced
1 tablespoon capers
3/4 cup olive oil

Combine egg yolks, mustard, salt, pepper, garlic and lemon juice.
Whisk until smooth and light ribbons.
SLOWLY incorporate half of the oil.
Add chipotles and capers then finish incorporating remaining oil.
Adjust seasonings.

For this recipe, I would leave it out if you can't use ketchup and then sauce them with mayo or the remoulade sauce. A dash of worcestershire sauce would perk it up in place of BBQ sauce. I take it these are fried/sauteed?

Not all BBQ sauces contain tomatoes. Ask our frinds from the Carolinas- their sauce is mustard based. If you Google mustard bbq sauce recipes or Carolina style bbq sauce recipes you'll find many to pick from ... here is one without tomatoes.

Another option would be an Asian BBQ sauce. Again, a Google search for asian bbq sauce recipes turns up several options ... here is one without tomatoes. You can probably find a small bottle in the ethnic foods section of your grocery store if you don't want to make your own.

The asian bbq sauce would probably be my first choice for this recipe, followed by hoisin sauce, mayo, yogurt, and then mustard bbq sauce - in that order, and I'm still questioning if the mustard sauce would really fit in with this recipe.

Since the bbq sauce is supplying a good percentage of moisture I would substitute something ...even if you just added 3 Tablespoons of water to the egg before you beat it and add to the mixture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom