"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Regular mustard is a rather vague term. Just as there are many varieties of prepared mustard there are several varieties of dry mustard. We buy several varieties of mustard seeds from Penzeys and grind / mill our own. Colemans 'English' mustard blend contains wheat flour.
With respect to prepared mustards, Hengstenberg and Silver Spring for example make some interesting ones.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Regular dry yellow mustard isn't really all that spicy, like prepared yellow mustard (think French's) isn't all that spicy either. Sharpish might be a better descriptor. Since your recipe already calls for vinegar (which is a major component of prepared mustard), you can try prepared mustard and cut back on the vinegar. You can hold back a little on the salt if you'd like, but as mustard isn't super salty, you may not need to adjust that.
That said, dry yellow mustard is a good spice to keep on hand. It's used a lot in sauces, dressings, and rubs. :)

Old 08-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #13
Cook

if you are baking, pay attention to the ratio of liquids vs dry ingredients for substitutions. for cooking, I find it a lot more forgiving.

In the end, let your taste buds be the final judge! For instance, mustard that looks yellow can be our fantastic hot dog mustard in the states which is not good as an ingredient for cooking, or it can mean that similar looking mustard from england that has the heat of wasabi paste, and is frequently used in cooking. :)
Old 08-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #14
Master Chef

sounds like you're making dev. eggs; if so, just watch the vinegar, like alix suggested. i sub prepared for dry in these.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Yes, it is deviled eggs, I havn't ever tried to make them before, the only ingredient I didn't say was eggs, since it wouldn't effect much except the amount, well, I will re post the ingredients, with exactly what the recipy calls for.

-6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and cut lengthwise
- cup Light Mayonnaise or Salad Dressing
- teaspoon dry ground mustard
- teaspoon white vinegar
-1/8 teaspoon salt
- teaspoon ground black pepper
-Paprika for garnish

it would be a great help if you could tell me, if I use regular mustard instead of dry, what changes and how much of each item would be needed, as you can see there is not much, dry mustard and vinegar used in this recipe.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

You're fretting too much over this, and much of the advice here is more theoretical than practical, especially in this sort of recipe. The amount of prepared mustard you'll likely use isn't going to screw up anything or cause it to "break." I'd use about a teaspoon of Dijon and not look back.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
Master Chef

just taste before adding both vinegar & mustard, & alternately, half (or less). add gradually; more oft than not you don't really need a recipe to follow, numbers-wise, for these eggs. here's to you & those eggs that sound very yummy!
Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
You're fretting too much over this, and much of the advice here is more theoretical than practical, especially in this sort of recipe. The amount of prepared mustard you'll likely use isn't going to screw up anything or cause it to "break." I'd use about a teaspoon of Dijon and not look back.
In all fairness, none of us knew what exactly she was intending here. Granted, the ingredient list looked a lot like salad dressing, but the theoretical advice is more toward the end result of a smarter cook, which should always be a significant goal on a forum like this.

That said, for the recipe at hand, 1 tsp of prepared mustard should sub fine with no changes for 1/2 tsp of dry mustard and 1/2 tsp of vinegar.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:48 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

The addition of Dijon sounds nice and I enjoy them that way. If I'm having my grand kids here, and they all love D-eggs, I use the addition of honey mustard and they just love them.
kadesma
Old 08-17-2009, 11:52 AM   #20
Mr. Greenjeans

I have never used anything but prepared mustard to make my deviled eggs.

On a side note, 1/4 tsp chipotle powder is a nice addition to the regular (6) deviled egg recipe.