Substitute for chicken broth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I am making sesame chicken tonight and forgot that I needed chicken broth....The broth is used in the sauce, 1 cup is needed.

Will I be OK with making my own pale comparison with bullion?

Thank Amber....I hate bullion but I always have around in case I'm in a pinch...LIKE NOW!!!!

Bouillion is dried broth so it will work well. Just watch the total salt in the dish as bouillion tends to be saltier than broth.

Yes, definitely take a little taste of the boullion before you add it - you may want to dilute it. Some brands can knock your socks off with the salt.

Same here Angie, I always keep bouillion on hand just in case, and as Andy mentioned, definately watch the salt because bouillion is saltier than broth.

The best part is that I always end up adding a little salt to my dish when eating it...too sweet otherwise. Maybe this will be the best method!!!

I'm sure it will be just fine.

I buy chicken broth at Sam's in 8-packs, so I don't run out.

I also keep jarred Chicken base on hand. It lasts forever, and I like it better than bouillon cubes. It is quite salty, though, so I don't add any salt at all until I see how it tastes.
This is just for future reference...you might want to give it a try.

Last edited:
I chime in with the boullion (not cubes, in a jar) people. Yes, it is too salty. Just take that into consideration. Sure it would be nie if we all had home made beef and chicken stock in the freezer. But gee, we live in the real world here. I have more stock in the freezer than most people (right now a quart of beef and a quart of spicy chicken), but even so, sometimes you need a cup of broth/stock (for me at least once or twice a week) and that isn't going to happen unless you keep something easy to use on hand.

When I make stock, I'll fill a quart or so to use when I make soup & will need a quantity like that, but at the same time I also fill a couple of ice cube trays that I keep specifically for that purpose. When they're frozen solid I then punch them out & store them in a plastic Ziplock bag. Each cube equals approximately 1/8 of a cup, which makes it extremely handy to add whatever small amounts recipes other than soup call for.

When I don't have homemade stock on hand, I use either canned broth or bases. You can buy beef, chicken, vegetable, etc. bases that keep in the fridge for a long time. They are similar to bouillion except they are in paste form and contain a lot less salt than bouillion.

Penzey's carries them. Also look for Minor's in your supermarket or warehouse club.

Back
Top Bottom