"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 10-11-2006, 07:15 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Substituting types of nuts

A recipe I'm going to be preparing calls for a total of two cups of crushed almonds to be used through out the cooking process. I was wondering if anyone has any experience substituting almonds for other types of nuts, and if so what kind would you recomend? I've made the dish a couple times in the past and like the almonds just fine, just looking to try something new this time. Thank!

Old 10-11-2006, 07:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Hi, welcome to the group!

I'm not a lover of almonds so almost always replace them with pecans or walnuts or just leave them out. Depends of the recipe though. What are you making??

smiles,T

Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Almonds have a very distinctive flavour as you surely know. For some reason, they just seem to 'go' with certain flavours better than other nuts. It's for ths reason that I would rarely substitute almonds. Having said that, I would be inclined to used pignoli nuts in place of almonds, should the mood strike me.
I find distinctive differences between walnuts and pecans, as well. In fact, I prefer pecans to walnuts. However, I find it easire to substitute walnuts for pecans or vice versa all the time.
I've been known to substitute cashews for peanuts from time to time, too.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:46 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Different dishes just call for different kinds of nuts. Some - only almonds will do - and some others a different nut. I suppose it depends on individual taste to a point. For example, pralines, anything other than pecans would be awful. For brownies, pecans or walnuts - for pesto, pine nuts, although some use walnuts (but I don't). Some recipes seem to deman certain nuts.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:01 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I agree with those that say almonds are a bit hard to sub for in the dishes they are used in.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 AM   #6
Head Chef

I was looking at a recipe for mole sauce yesterday and wondered how walnuts would substitute for almonds. They'd be different but pretty good, I think.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Head Chef

It all depends on what sort of a dish you are referring to. Is it a dessert, is it a marinade or gravy.

In a dessert if it calls for almonds you can alter the nuts but the outcome will not be the same. If you absolutely have to add a tiny bit of almond extract to it. In that case you can omit the almonds but still trick your senses to believing there is almond in there.

We use almond powder in a lot of our marinades and gravies. In that case we use blanched almonds and I almost always interchange that with cashews. The taste is almost unrecognizable once the gravy cooks down.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:38 PM   #8
Head Chef

I always use crushed almonds instead of other nuts. They are my favorite and I am not a fan of other nuts.

I am sure you can substitute any type of nuts you want.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:43 AM   #9
Master Chef

I'm unlikely to just go out and buy an ingredient for certain dishes. If I didn't think of it on grocery day, then I substitute. The results are sometimes surprisingly different -- as in a pleasant surprise. Like when I used pistachios to make pesto. We discovered we liked it better than pine nuts. I rarely bake, and that is a lot less forgiving. Some things are obvious -- for example, without almonds it simply is not green beans almondine. If you put in some other kinds of nuts, rename the dish!
Old 10-24-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
Head Chef

I have a number of cake recipes that call for ground almonds. It would never occur to me to use anything else as the oil content and texture will probably be very different. For savoury dishes and sauces, where things aren't quite so critical, you could try ground hazelnuts instead. There are a number of Spanish sauce recipes that are very similar apart from the fact that one will use ground almonds whereas another will use ground hazelnuts.