"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-01-2006, 11:28 AM   #11
Sous Chef

recipe

i now see that u have said what u are cooking.
I would go with yougurt as a substitute, for a dip, with eggplants. Some yougurt, lemon juice, a little sugar,a little salt would be the combination i would choose, and maybe some other ingredients that the ricipe suggests would make it taste extra good.
Mel

Old 09-01-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherin65
Will the homemade link for tahini in the above post be ok?
I think so. Though most recipes for tahini that I have seen use peanut or olive oil. But I have never tried to make it myself. IMO sesame oil by itself tastes very different than tahini. Tahini is what gives baba and hummos that very special taste.

Old 09-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #13
Sous Chef

oh. I put 2 replies here.
Cant see the second one.
I suppose, as soon as i post this, it will appear. At least that is what happened the last time i had this problem
Mel
Old 09-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #14
Master Chef

I have to agree that there really isn't any true substitute for the special taste of Tahini.

Store-bought brands might be considered by some to be pricey, but tahini (at least the ones I've purchased) lasts virtually forever in the refrigerator. And it can be used in so many interesting Mediterranean dishes, besides the usual hummus & Baba Ghanoush, etc., although I admit that those 2 are my hands-down favorites.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

For baba ganoush, which is one of my top-10 favorite foods ... NO, there is no substitute for tahini. Not only does it add a flavor, it also adds a texture (it's a thick puree of sesame seeds - about the consistency of peanut butter). A small can really doesn't cost any more than a jar of peanut butter.

As for using sesame oil as a substitute ... well ... would you try to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with jelly and peanut oil?
Old 09-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Senior Cook

no substitute for tahini.... just go ahead and make it without it, it will be missing something of the original recipe but at the same time, if you are going to make it regardless, i really think that adding sesame oil wouldruin it as the taste is nothing like it
Old 09-01-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
Head Chef

Here's a link to recipe for baba ganoush that lists sour cream or yogurt as tahinni substitutes. I don't remember where but I've seen hummus, or something like it, made substituting peanut butter for tahini.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
In Chinese recipes calling for Chinese sesame paste, you can substitute peanut butter (e.g., Dan Dan Noodles) with good results. Somehow, however, I think that might be just a little weird with baba ganoush!

But, what the heck -- how bad could it be?

"You try it!"
"No, YOU try it!"
"I know, let's get Mikie to try it -- he hates everything!"
Old 09-01-2006, 05:58 PM   #19
Sous Chef

I'm with Jennyema and Michael here. Baba ghanoush without tahini is like bechamel sauce made with soy milk.
Buy some tahini. Keep it in the fridge - I do - it'll last about 3-4 months before it gets too thick, and even then you can blitz it in the blender to use it up.
Sesame oil, imo, is a totally different animal, even though they're from the same plant.
If you can't find it and want to make a "middle-Eastern" cream, try labne - simply put yoghurt into a cheesecloth or napkin and let it drain for a day or two. Or you could try maham'ra - charred red bell peppers, olive oil, ground hazlenuts for consistency and hot peppers ( or paprika if you prefer).
Old 09-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryBoy
But, what the heck -- how bad could it be?
Humm ... peanut butter and roasted eggplant dip! With garlic and EVOO!!!

I can see, if you don't really care about the authentic taste, using pureed chick peas/garbanzo beans to provide a similar texture .... but, peanut butter?