Substitution for Sesame Paste?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I appreciate all your replies. I bought the Tahini. I'm making the dip(baba ganouj) today. Do I serve it warm or cold?

Sher

Something I have been wrestling with is developing a hummus type product using American ingredients:ohmy:. I love hummus, but would also like to create something similar using items I would normally stock. Of course, peanut butter could be a potential ingredient, but what to use in place of garbonzo's/chick peas?? Anybody experimented with this, or have any ideas?

sherin65 said:
I appreciate all your replies. I bought the Tahini. I'm making the dip(baba ganouj) today. Do I serve it warm or cold?

Sher

I usually serve mine at room temperature, ie, I make it in the morning, leave it in the fridge until I'm ready to eat it, then take it out of the fridge about 30 - 40 minutes before eating.

bethzaring said:
Something I have been wrestling with is developing a hummus type product using American ingredients:ohmy:. I love hummus, but would also like to create something similar using items I would normally stock. Of course, peanut butter could be a potential ingredient, but what to use in place of garbonzo's/chick peas?? Anybody experimented with this, or have any ideas?

Whilst there's no bean ( to my knowledge) similar to a garbanzo in the US, you could try with Navy beans, haricot beans, or split peas. I've made "instant dips" with all sorts of barbarous ingredients available in my fridge at any one time! Lentils might work as well.

Back
Top Bottom