Substitutions for milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I missed this forums I apologize. Here's my dilemma. Due to poor planning, I have no milk but the rec calls for one cup o milk. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.:)
~Jane

:) If you have sour cream which you would use in beef stroganoff it will work just be sure to temper sour cream with a bit of the hot gravy then mix in as to not curdle sour cream.Or maybe just mix some sour cream 1/2 or more with water to 1 cup.The sour cream would make your meatballs even more delicious.

I'd go to the store and get sour cream, since it's stroganoff or I would pick a different recipe. You can't make it with cottage cheese or powdered coffee creamer.

Meatballs can be made with water as well as milk. Milk is not an essential ingredient of meatballs.

I rarely have milk in the house. Hubby is lactose intolerant and I just don't like it very much. However, I do keep a box of Carnation nonfat dried milk in the cupboard. When a recipe calls for milk, I just mix up what I need for the recipe. Don't notice that it's powdered milk in a recipe. Really comes in handy!!

mudbug said:
Caine, I think it was the sauce she was needing the milk for.

I'm sorry, but that is not the impression I got from this:

jpmcgrew said:
:) If you have sour cream which you would use in beef stroganoff it will work just be sure to temper sour cream with a bit of the hot gravy then mix in as to not curdle sour cream.Or maybe just mix some sour cream 1/2 or more with water to 1 cup.The sour cream would make your meatballs even more delicious.

But, then again, if the recipe calls for 1 cup of milk, and the normal ratio for meatballs is equal amounts of egg and milk (or water) this recipe must make an AWFUL lot of meatballs!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom