"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
View Poll Results: Would you buy the below sugar dispenser?
Yes 2 11.11%
No 16 88.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Sugar Dispenser

Hi i'm a senior at Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School. I'd like to take a moment of your time to ask a simple poll question.

When thinking of the poll questions, keep in mind the design of the dispenser.

The dispenser will be able to hold 3-5lbs of sugar. Inside the dispenser, the sugar will be constantly moving, keeping it from clumping together. By a push of a button, a teaspoon of sugar will be dispensed. Another button dispenses sugar until you hit the button again. Great for coffee drinkers, and even better for coffee shops.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:11 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

It may be worth while for a coffee shop but probably not in the home.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I do not think it is a bad idea, but it is not something I personally would have a use for. I use sugar pretty infrequently. If I used it a lot then I could see how this could possibly come in handy.

The part I am not crazy about though is that the sugar would be in constant motion. If the container is properly sealed then clumping should not be an issue. The reason I do not like the idea is that is would either require batteries or to be plugged in. Batteries are expensive and plugs in my kitchen are rare and valuable so I would not want to take one up for this appliance.

Is this something you will actually be trying to make and market or is this just an exercise for class? Either way, good luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I have to acctually make this appliance. Any and all improvements or suggestions are welcome. I can see the constant motion thing, i sort of jumped the gun a bit. It won't be "constantly" moving. The inner blades (dull blades) move when the dispense button is pushed, so the sugar can easily be sifted out of the container. This product IS marketed mainly towards coffee shops. Again, any and all suggestions/improvements are welcome.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:19 PM   #5
Master Chef

5 pounds is too heavy, IMO.

Also, most coffee shops that I go to dispense sugar in paper packages. You don't see that many sugar dispensers any more.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Head Chef

Seems like a rather odd invention to me. Most coffee shops I know use pre-measured sugar (white, raw or substitute) in convenient and sanitary packets. I'm not seeing the benefit of having a 'dispenser' machine that has to be filled... with the possibility of spillage and contamination (not to mention maintenance).
Old 09-19-2006, 12:40 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema
5 pounds is too heavy, IMO.

Also, most coffee shops that I go to dispense sugar in paper packages. You don't see that many sugar dispensers any more.
True, but the paper for those packets has to come from somewhere.

That would be a possible marketing method, saving the use of paper for the sugar packets. Jumps on the conservationalist band wagon.

It's all in the name of convenience (sp?) nowadays. That and saving Mother Earth. You have to make this machine as convenient as possible, for both your consumer, and their consumer. If the kitchen has no extra outlets like GB, then it better not need ot be plugged in. If electricity is needed, how long will the batteries last? If rechargeable (sp?) how long does that take? How much for a spare or two batteries? Also, if you are targeting coffee shops, how big is this thing going to be? There's only so much room to put stuff, and a small basket with sugar packets is pretty convenient for the coffee shop!

I certainly don't mean to rain on your parade. I hope you are successful, and perhaps someday all of our friends here at DC will own or want to own one of your dispensers because of the quality of the product, cost efficiency, and use efficiency!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:45 PM   #8
Master Chef

Most coffee shops run on pretty thin margins. If saving Mother Earth costs them $$, I would imagine they'd pass.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:28 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Constantly moving 3 to 5 pounds of sugar would require a fairly strong motor, and it would consume quite a bit of electricity. I think the unit would have to be fairly large to hold a full sack of sugar, the motor, and all the moving parts, requiring a lot of counter space. And I doubt it would be cheap.

So, considering all of that, I wouldn't buy it.

BTW, when I was a kid, my mother had a glass sugar dispenser on the table for her coffee. It held about 1 or 2 cups of sugar. It had a plastic cap that somehow allowed the jar to dispense exactly (more or less) one teaspoon of sugar each time it was turned over. My guess is that it would be about $2 to $5 in today's market, if it's still available.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Hey I recently bought a peper dispenser that works in a similar way.

My mother had a stroke a couple of years ago and she loves ground black pepper but could not grind it herself, this gadget is battery operated and grinds the pepper when you press the button.

Not sure if a sugar dispenser would be of any use to her but perhaps this is another angle you could look at.