"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
That's what I buy AND it is less expensive than Heinz!
So do I. I just figure Kerry's wife doesn't need my few dollars. And it states right on the front label, "No HFCS". Sure catches my eye. I really think we are going to be seeing more of "No HFCS" labels in the very near future. With the corn shortage, natural sugar is going to look much better to our food producers. Now let's just hope that our main cane growers don't get hit with a BIG storm.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

A friend is a beekeeper and forward this link:

Your Honey Isn’t Honey | Food Renegade

Besides buying garlic at the garlic festival, I picked up some local honey (having recalled that because of the drought, honey production will be down come honey-harvesting time).

Note the comment about HFCS in imported honey and that the single-serving sizes in restaurants is not usually honey, but is honey-flavored corn syrup.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I read the label on Kraft Low Fat Catalina Dressing, and was surprised to find it's sweetened with sugar, not HFCS.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #104
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I read the label on Kraft Low Fat Catalina Dressing, and was surprised to find it's sweetened with sugar, not HFCS.
I checked my Hidden Valley Parmsean Dressing. Sugar was the third listed ingredient. But way near the bottom of the list of ingredients was corn syrup. No ....oses in the list.
Old 08-18-2012, 01:54 AM   #105
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
A friend is a beekeeper and forward this link:

Your Honey Isn’t Honey | Food Renegade

Besides buying garlic at the garlic festival, I picked up some local honey (having recalled that because of the drought, honey production will be down come honey-harvesting time).

Note the comment about HFCS in imported honey and that the single-serving sizes in restaurants is not usually honey, but is honey-flavored corn syrup.
I just read that article. I'm glad I almost always buy my honey at the health food store. I became skeptical of grocery store honey when I saw it was pasteurized. Why would you pasteurize a naturally sterile product? Made me wary. Turns out that pasteurized honey looks prettier longer.

I don't need food to be pretty. E.g., I prefer the lumpy, non-uniform tomatoes. Loblaws has very pretty, uniform fruits and vegis. I find that scary. I don't buy fruits and veg form Loblaws, except occasionally some that is organic.

edit: As Andy M. has pointed out, honey is not sterile. It has anti-microbial properties. Pasteurizing does not kill botulism spores, which can grow in the digestive tract of infants.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #106
Chef Extraordinaire

When I was a kid and we had the cranberry bog, we had a bee hive. We used to pull out a frame, peel back the wax and suck out the honey right from the comb. And it was unfiltered. The bees would hve laughed at us if we suggested that they filter it first.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #107
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Now I'm ticked off. Did some Googling of "fructose glucose" and read that "glucose-fructose" is the Canadian term for HFCS.

According to the Canadian Sugar Institute, "The term “glucose-fructose” is the common name used on Canadian food ingredient lists for high fructose corn syrup, described in the Food and Drug Regulations as “glucose syrups and isomerized glucose syrups, singly or in combination, where the fructose fraction does not exceed 60 percent of the sweetener on a dry basis”. All of these ingredients contribute to the total sugars (naturally occurring and added) and total carbohydrate listed in the Nutrition Facts Table." Canadian Sugar Institute - Nutrition Labelling and Claims

And, according to Wikipedia, "High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS)—also called glucose-fructose syrup[1][2] in the UK, glucose/fructose[3] in Canada, and high-fructose maize syrup in other countries..." High-fructose corn syrup - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No more Minute Maid lemonade for me.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
No more Minute Maid lemonade for me.
I quit frozen juices about 2 years ago because of the sugar. I squeeze my own citrus juices. Much better tasting. True, I only get a glass at a time, but that is usually all I need. It doesn't take long to press enough grapefruit or orange juice for a glass, and, it gives my wrist a work out. I have an electric juice, but why bother unless I plan on doing a dozen or so grapefruit or oranges.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #109
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I try to buy only local honey....sometimes it is a tick pricey but I think it's worth it.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:03 AM   #110
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Just sos ya knows, Hunts Ketchup is made with sugar. I just read the label.
That must've changed recently. According to LabelWatch.com, it contains HFCS.

http://www.labelwatch.com/prod_results.php?pid=321003

I buy either Annie's or Muir Glen, though I prefer Muir Glen. Annie's has kind of a weird aftertaste.

Tags
sugar