"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I recall that several years ago (in the early 90's as I recall), there was a big to do about sugar and the statement was made then that if sugar had been first discovered yesterday, it would likely be classified as a poison.
Hard to know what to believe from TV programs....everybody seems to have an agenda these days.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

It is difficult to obtain funding for nutritional research (for universities, not private companies). So, the people who are researching sugar and doing the feeding trials in Calif. probably are churning out some interesting stuff. I recall reading about sugar in the early '90s and stopped diet soda after that.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:30 AM   #13
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm hearing a lot of, "I heard on TV"...I have heard that HFCS's are good for you, it's processed just like sugar. I know this statement to be false from my research. However me reading and regurgitating this information is baseless. Thus, I am doing this experiment. I've controlled all the variables I can without checking myself into a hospital or such.

The premise here is that HFCS's cause more problems than sugar does. I'm not saying that sugar is good for you, I'm saying it's better for you than HFCS.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #14
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The premise here is that HFCS's cause more problems than sugar does. I'm not saying that sugar is good for you, I'm saying it's better for you than HFCS.
PF has got this one right. Here is a great article that talks about why HFCS is worse than Sugar. It's all about the component molecules....

Old 08-06-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It seems that it is or at least has been a confusing issue. Come to find out, according to a number of news reports, in May of this year, the Corn Refiners Association was denied by the FDA in their petition to allow HFCS to be called "corn sugar." Now the only use I have ever knowingly made of "corn sugar" was back in the days when I was homebrewing beer. I used it to naturally condition (carbonate) the beer in the bottling process. All this leads me to a number of questions. I will only pose one here....does anyone know whether Karo Corn syrup--light or dark...(been used for years in all manner of recipes) is now or has ever been HFCS?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

One more thing and then I will hush.
I find it highly disturbing that the CRA is actively pursuing what I view to be a deliberate campaign of misinformation and that the FDA and FTC are seemingly unable to deter them from making questionable claims about HFCS.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I am not a scientist, I just know what works for me. If I avoid HFCS, and I avoid artificial sweeteners I don't get blood sugar swings. If I stick to 3 meals a day with small snacks here and there, I'm fine, but add one of those other two additives, and I get blood sugar drops long before I'm hungry.

I'm not diabetic, but I did used to have low blood sugar at least once a day. It could be just a couple hours after a meal. Now It doesn't happen unless I have been more than 4 hours from eating anything or when I am exerting myself more than usual. The only difference is the artificial sweeteners and the HFCS. I swear that my body releases insulin when I eat most artificial sweeteners because it is shortly after drinking a diet soda that my blood sugar will drop, no diet soda, no problem.

I don't have this issue with stevia sweetened things.

My aunt is diabetic, she refuses to consume artificial sweeteners. She has no problems using real sugar in her coffee in the morning. She keeps her carbs in check. Every diabetic is different, but she swears, just like I do, that your body is better equipped in most cases to handle things that are natural. She's a recently retired RN, so she has a bit of experience to go on and is interested and knowledgeable about health.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

CWS, I called it a new scare for the very reason you stated re: fat. The medical profession and the US Govt. came out telling us all fat was evil and it would kill you. Come to find out maybe not so much. It may have been the sugar. I call that a scare.

Now it's sugar that's evil. Based on incomplete research. Studies suggest... Maybe we'll find out, after we have eliminated that evil sugar from our diets, that the real culprit is dark leafy greens, tofu and granola.

Pass the bacon.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I just had to go check the 2 bottles of Bullseye in the pantry, they were BOGO last week so I bought a couple, they still have sugar, I'll check in my store to see if the HFCS version has shown up yet. This ticks me off, because it was the only one in the store that still had sugar. I'll have to get mine at trader joe's now.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
CWS, I called it a new scare for the very reason you stated re: fat. The medical profession and the US Govt. came out telling us all fat was evil and it would kill you. Come to find out maybe not so much. It may have been the sugar. I call that a scare.

Now it's sugar that's evil. Based on incomplete research. Studies suggest... Maybe we'll find out, after we have eliminated that evil sugar from our diets, that the real culprit is dark leafy greens, tofu and granola.

Pass the bacon.
I've become fed up with "studies". I am going to eat REAL food with as little additives as possible and hope for the best.

Tags
sugar