Sugar vs HFCS - The Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a copycat recipe for Ted's Hot Dog Sauce that calls for Karo corn syrup, but it's only two teaspoons for a finished sauce of about a pint. The last time I made some I couldn't find my Karo syrup so I assumed it was all gone and used agaver nectar instead. It definitely didn't taste the same.

A lot of products are being marketed now with "no trans-fats" or "non-fat" or "no HFCS" when in fact they never had any of those ingredients to begin with. They're just jumping on the bandwagon that "it's bad and we don't got any in our product!!!" It's a marketing campaign that implies the competitors' products do have that bad stuff. Better buy the one that's labeled "we don't got this bad stuff."

I'm waiting for Karo USP injectable. Why bother eating this stuff when you can just inject it directly into your bloodstream? (Just kidding!) :)

A lot of products are being marketed now with "no trans-fats" or "non-fat" or "no HFCS" when in fact they never had any of those ingredients to begin with....

When the 'contains no cholesterol' first started, I actually saw jars of fruit preserves labeled that way!

A product I've never before seen is on this site - Sugar and Other Natural Sweeteners

The Whey-Low sugar substitute is the item I'm talking about. It looks interesting to me. When I receive my order of it, I'll have to do the experiment like our wondrous P.F. I'll let you know how it works out. Since it's made from naturally occurring sugars, it just might be the product I've been searching for.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I ran out of time this morning and was unable to post my glucometer reading

This morning my blood sugar was 124 after eating Little Smokies cooked in Bull's-Eye BBQ sauce, the one with sugar. Here is a pic of the glucometer...taken before coffee...

Attachments

• Bullseye result.jpg
    Bullseye result.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 58
Been fighting with the stupid camera for about an hour finally got the pic uploaded.

Difference in blood sugars was 6 points, which seems small until you understand that someone taking insulin would have to take 2-4 units more insulin at today's reading than yesterday's. My theory is correct HFCS's increase your blood sugars.

I'm not testing tonight, I was gifted a lavender cream-filled chocolate cupcake...

Attachments

• HPIM0554.JPG
    HPIM0554.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 171
That would be enough to convince me. I'd probably do some random checks after eating anything with HFCS (which probably will happen every now and again). Thanks for doing this PF!

Thanks, it was a real chore...putting off that cupcake for a whole day, JUST for YOU folks!:LOL::ROFLMAO::wacko::innocent:

It was interesting and I wanted to know, now I do and have proof to back me up. Thought it would be appropriate for a food forum.

I WILL NOT be testing if my Lipitor can handle a quart of Trans-fats...:ROFLMAO:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Thanks, it was a real chore...putting off that cupcake for a whole day, JUST for YOU folks!:LOL::ROFLMAO::wacko::innocent:

Hope that cupcake is a good one! I'm glad you did this experiment. Very interesting results, even for those of us not checking our sugar.

Hope that cupcake is a good one! I'm glad you did this experiment. Very interesting results, even for those of us not checking our sugar.

It was divine and way too small...I didn't know it was filled, nice surprise.

This experiment is important for folks who do not check their sugars, too.

Based on a study I read on NIH.gov about 8 months ago, the body uses the glucose component right away, fructose takes the body some work to break down so it is apt to store it as glucagon, what your body uses for emergency stores, when starving or in "Fight or Flight" responses...that rush of adrenalin uses up glucagon.

However, High Fructose Corn Syrups are manufactured, the body recognizes part of it but is not up to doing much with it, especially if it has a constant flush of them through the system. So the body stashes it in your liver after converting it to another energy source... FAT! This it creating fatty livers and fat people and also exhausts the body's ability to use it's own insulin effectively. There are your Type II Diabetics.

My pleasure! I'm not going to be able to go to bed tonight, the doorway is too narrow.

Rub butter all over your body and slide through sideways.

Did I mention I have a cardiology appointment in the morning...I almost forgot, I've been a bit busy lately. You think I could get away with butter??? Really?

She can smell butter I ate a week ago...evil woman, she's just evil...back to cardboard and water.:LOL:

I just don't like the idea that the food industry is cramming HFCS down our throats not because it's good for us but because it's cheaper for them to produce sugary foods if they don't have to buy real sugar.

And worse, they've used this cheap sugar replacement to offer unhealthy sugary (high in "junk" calories) food which tempts people who are on a small food budgets to substitute cheap sugary foods instead of healthy but more expensive alternatives.

I'm glad I don't have a sweet tooth. (I have a salt tooth.) These HFCS foods don't tempt me, but what bothers me is that they're sneaking it into our other foods too. KC Masterpiece (original) is my favorite BBQ sauce. I hadn't noticed that they sneaked HFCS into it. And worse, maybe all BBQ sauces will contain HFCS, because they can sell it at 1-2 cents less per bottle.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom