Sugar vs HFCS - The Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honey has an antibacterial effect, it is being used in wound care and is very effective. All of my honey comes from a couple of boys and their 4-H project that has grown into a money maker for them. It's putting them through college. Most people around here buy their honey from the same source.

Steve Kroll said:
That must've changed recently. According to LabelWatch.com, it contains HFCS.

http://www.labelwatch.com/prod_results.php?pid=321003

I buy either Annie's or Muir Glen, though I prefer Muir Glen. Annie's has kind of a weird aftertaste. :ermm:

Hunts has been bragging about being hfcs free for some time now, I noticed a couple years ago. Before that I was buying organic to avoid hfcs.

Honey has anti-microbial properties through multiple mechanisms. Fist, it's hygroscopic. Is that the right word? It absorbs moisture from its surroundings, just like salt and sugar. The little micro-critters simply implode as the moisture is sucked out of them. If that weren't enough, certain honeys (a particular type from New Zealand) reacts with wound site to form hydrogen peroxide, which again destroys the microbes.

When honey is diluted sufficiently with liquid, microbes will grow in it, just as they do in any moist environment.

The reason that yeast and Clostridium botulinum bacteria can survive in raw honey is that both organizms hang out as spores. They are encased in a protective shell that acts like a tiny life capsule that keeps them alive in harsh environments. Yeast spores are said to survive in the vacuum of space. That's how sturdy these little critters are.

When the spores come into contact with moisture, the shells dissolve and allow the bacteria to flourish. The botulism toxin ( a protien that causes paralysis) is excreted by the bacteria as it feeds on whatever it feeds on.

The reason it is dangerous to babies and todlers is that their digestive systems can't yet produce the enzymes required to digest (denature) the dangerous protien.

Even if the raw honey is cooked to a high enough temperature to kill the spores, the young digestive tract can't properly digest the honey itself. Again, it lacks the required enzymes.

Now this is all from memory, but is fairly accurate. Consult respected scientific sources for more accurate info.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North

I noticed that Hunts ketchup is switching back to HFCS!

No longer does the banner over the "Hunts" logo say 100% natural, now it says "No Preservatives" and the "No High Fructose Corn Syrup" has been removed from the label, and is now on the list of ingredients. This is disappointing. There was some of the older stock and some of the newer stock.

I have been buying this brand faithfully for the last couple of years because it had no HFCS. I will have to switch back to Trader Joe's, an organic brand or Simply Heinz. Con Agra says they will still have some with regular sugar, we'll just have to see how widely available they are.

Here's an article about it

http://www.foodnavigator-usa.com/Ma...CS-in-Hunt-s-ketchup-citing-lackluster-demand

Last edited:
I like the Glen Muir Ketchup the best of all I have tried and I can find it in the regular grocery store, don't have to go to the more expensive natural food store.

Trying to pick a loaf of bread is getting ridiculous, too. I really do not have the space for bread baking, but it looks like I will have to go back to it.

I've been making my bread, slicing it and popping it in the freezer. My partner buys a commercial bread to take to work for sandwiches, but I got him to buy a bread without HFCS, and lots of whole grain. I like the homemade so much better. I've been experimenting with putting some potato flour, vital wheat gluten and dry milk, it seems to keep it moist and improves its shelf life, even not frozen.

I liked to buy hunts because it was often on sale for a great price, but I'll keep a lookout for Muir Glen ketchup.

Last edited:
I like the Glen Muir Ketchup the best of all I have tried and I can find it in the regular grocery store, don't have to go to the more expensive natural food store.

Trying to pick a loaf of bread is getting ridiculous, too. I really do not have the space for bread baking, but it looks like I will have to go back to it.

We get Nature Made Honey Wheat - it has no HFCS, none of their products do.

Oroweat/Arnold's breads are all natural and have no HFCS or trans fats. If you happen to live near one of their outlets, like I do, you can get some pretty good deals on their products.

Fiona, have you tried this experiment comparing sugar to agave nectar? I switched from turbinado sugar to agave nectar in my coffee because agave has a low glycemic index and is not supposed to spike your blood sugar, and it doesn't have an aftertaste like stevia does.

Last edited:
We get Brownberry Natural Wheat, DH's favorite. It too has no HFCS, Walmart carries it.

Oroweat/Arnold's breads are all natural and have no HFCS or trans fats. If you happen to live near one of their outlets, like I do, you can get some pretty good deals on their products.

Fiona, have you tried this experiment comparing sugar to agave nectar? I switched from turbinado sugar to agave nectar in my coffee because agave has a low glycemic index and is not supposed to spike your blood sugar, and it doesn't have an aftertaste like stevia does.

We tried the Agave, but it has an astringent taste to it I didn't care for. I really don't need to sweeten much in my diet, I only use 1-2 teaspoons a day for my coffee. My blood sugar downfall is rice, pasta and potatoes.

Tell me about it. I am half Sicilian and a quarter German. A half cup serving of macaroni or potatoes just ain't gonna make it! How are you supposed to measure a half cup of dry spaghetti anyway?

By weight...2 ounces dry is a serving.:) I really hate seeing how much a serving of potatoes is. I usually do without something else so I can have more potatoes.

If you put mashed potatoes and chocolate cake in front of me and I only get to choose one, the potatoes win every time.

Honey has anti-microbial properties through multiple mechanisms. Fist, it's hygroscopic. Is that the right word? It absorbs moisture from its surroundings, just like salt and sugar. The little micro-critters simply implode as the moisture is sucked out of them. If that weren't enough, certain honeys (a particular type from New Zealand) reacts with wound site to form hydrogen peroxide, which again destroys the microbes.

When honey is diluted sufficiently with liquid, microbes will grow in it, just as they do in any moist environment.

The reason that yeast and Clostridium botulinum bacteria can survive in raw honey is that both organizms hang out as spores. They are encased in a protective shell that acts like a tiny life capsule that keeps them alive in harsh environments. Yeast spores are said to survive in the vacuum of space. That's how sturdy these little critters are.

When the spores come into contact with moisture, the shells dissolve and allow the bacteria to flourish. The botulism toxin ( a protien that causes paralysis) is excreted by the bacteria as it feeds on whatever it feeds on.

The reason it is dangerous to babies and todlers is that their digestive systems can't yet produce the enzymes required to digest (denature) the dangerous protien.

Even if the raw honey is cooked to a high enough temperature to kill the spores, the young digestive tract can't properly digest the honey itself. Again, it lacks the required enzymes.

Now this is all from memory, but is fairly accurate. Consult respected scientific sources for more accurate info.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind of the North
Learned something again--I've only used hygroscopic when describing the wicking capacity of fiber (fwiw, commercial carpets are often made of a hydrophobic fiber or treated to be hydrophobic-repel water). I am still having a hard time getting my head around honey being hygroscopic because of my point-of-reference for hygroscopic properties.

Actually I misspoke - it's Nature's Own - sorry.

LOL! S'okay, I still didn't find it.:ROFLMAO: But I did find a local (500 miles) brand. Sometimes I just want an already made loaf of sliced bread, not often, but sometimes. I've gotten good about not eating so much bread...now to work on the potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom