"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #71
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
You do know you can make your own ginger ale by steeping ginger root and adding that to club soda/seltzer?
That sounds like a good idea, but it would be too gingery for Stirling. He doesn't like ginger tea. But, I would probably like it.

It might be more effort than one would want to expend when feeling crapulous. (Yes, with ginger infusion ready in the fridge or freezer)

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
PS--that tea was very refreshing. What brand is that? Or did you blend two?
I just buy any old brand at the health food store. It comes blended and they have always been good. I think this is what we had. It might have been the last bags of a different brand.

If you add a bunch of honey, you can fool most kids into thinking it's cool-aid. A lot of kids don't want something "weird".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3189.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	15221  

Old 08-10-2012, 11:03 AM   #73
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Thanks, it was a real chore...putting off that cupcake for a whole day, JUST for YOU folks!
You are a paragon of virtue and a Princess among women, er...ogres?

Thanks so much for doing this. Not only did I learn that HFCS will increase your blood sugar readings, I also learned that you measure differently in the US. If I had a reading of 124 or 130 points I'd be DEAD. Our standard is 4-7 is heaven, up to 10 is still a friend.

Also, thanks to taxlady for telling me about Stirling's weight loss when he eliminated the sugar from his coffee. BIG deal that I will share with a coworker who is really struggling to lose a few pounds. Oh, and that's a favorite tea of mine! Did you know it can help bring your BP down (up to 17 points diastolic) if you drink 3 cups a day regularly?

I'm being a bit more conscious of my sugar intake the last week thanks to this thread. I suspect that will change tomorrow when we hit the holiday trail. LOL!!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 AM   #74
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Unfortunately, the food industry is an industry, and the bottom line is to minimize expenses and maximize profits for the shareholders. Most of them stopped caring decades ago.
The parasite isn't supposed to kill the host. Unfortunately the food industry seems to have adopted the tobacco industry model, okay to kill the host as long as it's done over a long time period, time enough for the host to breed more hosts.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post

Also, thanks to taxlady for telling me about Stirling's weight loss when he eliminated the sugar from his coffee. BIG deal that I will share with a coworker who is really struggling to lose a few pounds. Oh, and that's a favorite tea of mine! Did you know it can help bring your BP down (up to 17 points diastolic) if you drink 3 cups a day regularly?

I'm being a bit more conscious of my sugar intake the last week thanks to this thread. I suspect that will change tomorrow when we hit the holiday trail. LOL!!
Just to be clear, Stirling didn't substitute an artificial sweetener for the sugar. He did add more cream to the coffee and more milk to the tea. He may have been consuming the same amount of calories from fat as he eliminated from sugar intake. Now, he can't stand the taste of sugar in coffee.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #76
Everymom

She's down to using 1% milk in her coffee so if we can just eliminate the sugar, things might move a bit for her. She won't use an artificial sweetener anyway, she doesn't like them. She's working on cleaning all artificial things out of her diet.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #77
Certified Pretend Chef

PF's experiment is good and bad. Good info to know but now I feel obligated to read more labels before purchasing stuff. This morning I find we are out of jam for the english muffin I toasted so I used some Nutella. The Canadians who made the Nutella kindly used sugar instead of HFCS.

When I go grocery shopping, I'll buy jam with sugar. (Actually I always look for preserves with the fewest number of ingredients - one fruit, sugar and maybe pectin.)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #78
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I go grocery shopping, I'll buy jam with sugar. (Actually I always look for preserves with the fewest number of ingredients - one fruit, sugar and maybe pectin.)
Same here, but if there is pectin, I want there to be more fruit than sugar. Citric acid is okay too.

I have always had good luck with the taste of jams chosen this way.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #79
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Same here, but if there is pectin, I want there to be more fruit than sugar. Citric acid is okay too.

I have always had good luck with the taste of jams chosen this way.

Forgot the citric acid. I won't buy jam that doesn't have the one fruit as the first ingredient.

I also avoid the "all fruit" jams because they are just loaded with other fruit sugars. If I buy blueberry jam, I don't expect to see apple and pear as the first two ingredients.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #80
Everymom

Andy, I've been looking at labels with an eye to HFCS the last couple of weeks and I haven't found very much. Most of the things that use any kind of sweetener are good old sugar, or that freaking Nutri Sweet crap. Splenda makes the occasional appearance, as does sorbitol.

Could someone check something for me? Coke is sugar sweetened here. Someone told me it is HFCS in the US and Mexico. True?

Tags
sugar