Suggestions for crock-pot Apple Betty or Crisp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clamper

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe for an apple cobbler-type recipe done in a crockpart. The extremely simple recipe calls for 2 cans apple pie filling, 1 box spice cake mix and 2 sticks butter. Put the ingredients in the crock pot in the above order ( filling in first, cake mix next, butter last). Put the crock pot on "high" for 2 to 21/2 hrs and walk away.

Here is the problem. The CRISP crust is MIA. The outer edges of of the crust get slightly crisp, the interior portion, while fully cooked, is soft and gritty. I've made the recipe twice, using the same ingredients and ounts both times. I increased the cooking time to 3 hours on the do-over. Not much better. I want the crust firm and crisp. Suggestions? Thanks.

I can't imagine how anything thing can crisp in a slow cooker. Any moisture evaporates and then drips down from the lid. Which defeats the whole idea of any fruit crisp. Could it be that there is just too much liquid in the fruit filling? Have you tried to strain out some of the liquid in the apple filling? :angel:

This recipe would cook in the oven in the time it takes to eat dinner. Some things just aren't suited for the slow cooker. I would make it the traditional way.

This recipe would cook in the oven in the time it takes to eat dinner. Some things just aren't suited for the slow cooker. I would make it the traditional way.

Me too. Some recipes should not be made in a slow cooker. If you are looking for a crust where flour is involved or foods that you want to be browned like a roast of any kind. I feel that slow cookers are meant for long cooking in some sort of liquid and simmering. :angel:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom