"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-27-2015, 06:38 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Suggestions for crock-pot Apple Betty or Crisp

I have a recipe for an apple cobbler-type recipe done in a crockpart. The extremely simple recipe calls for 2 cans apple pie filling, 1 box spice cake mix and 2 sticks butter. Put the ingredients in the crock pot in the above order ( filling in first, cake mix next, butter last). Put the crock pot on "high" for 2 to 21/2 hrs and walk away.

Here is the problem. The CRISP crust is MIA. The outer edges of of the crust get slightly crisp, the interior portion, while fully cooked, is soft and gritty. I've made the recipe twice, using the same ingredients and ounts both times. I increased the cooking time to 3 hours on the do-over. Not much better. I want the crust firm and crisp. Suggestions? Thanks.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:51 AM   #2
Master Chef

I can't help you with a crockpot recipe but this simple recipe for CRUNCH can be made with any canned fruit pie filling.

Save Me!!! Recipe Help

Good luck!

Old 11-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I can't imagine how anything thing can crisp in a slow cooker. Any moisture evaporates and then drips down from the lid. Which defeats the whole idea of any fruit crisp. Could it be that there is just too much liquid in the fruit filling? Have you tried to strain out some of the liquid in the apple filling?
Old 11-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

This recipe would cook in the oven in the time it takes to eat dinner. Some things just aren't suited for the slow cooker. I would make it the traditional way.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This recipe would cook in the oven in the time it takes to eat dinner. Some things just aren't suited for the slow cooker. I would make it the traditional way.
Me too. Some recipes should not be made in a slow cooker. If you are looking for a crust where flour is involved or foods that you want to be browned like a roast of any kind. I feel that slow cookers are meant for long cooking in some sort of liquid and simmering.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Suggestions for crock-pot Apple Betty or Crisp

Try taking the lid off during the last 30 minutes, or propping it open with a wooden spoon or crumpled piece of foil.

Another thought would be to remove the insert and put it in the oven for the last few minutes. http://www.crock-pot.com/service-and...afety-faq.html

This is for the Crock-Pot brand. If yours isn't a CP, you might check the website for your brand.

Tags
apple, crockpot