Sushi Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mary

Assistant Cook
What is the easiest and delicious filling of Sushi Rolls? :rolleyes:

Mary said:
What is the easiest and delicious filling of Sushi Rolls? :rolleyes:

If you're looking for a combination of both easy and delicious then I would think that a spicy tuna filling would be the best choice. Just google for different recipes and choose the one that you like best.

I like the spicy tuna ones also
but CA rolls are my favorite. Cheap too since you
can use "fake" crab.

I would also say a spicy tuna roll - maybe with some cucumber strips, avocado strips, or even some cream cheese strips. The sashimi grade tuna is ready to eat, the sauce gives it a kick - you don't even need wasabi. That's probably the most simple one and one of the best without getting into the fussy stuff.

i usually make veggie sushi rolls with cucumber, avocado, a little bit of shredded diakon, and a piece of lettuce ( i like the texture of butter lettuce in sushi rolls). asparagus is good, too. veggies are easy for me because i always have them on hand, while i have to go out of my way to buy sushi grade fish.

lol, one time i was making sushi rolls for a party and i got a bit creative and made them with leftover curried spinach rolled up in saffron rice... it wasnt bad!

HA - When I was in New York the sushi chef asked if he could make me something special - I said sure!!! It was sooooooo good - it was a crunchy tuna roll with this wonderful curry sauce in it - it was THE best thing!!!!! So I imagine your curry spinach roll was good too!

I agree tuna rolls are the easiest, bit of canned tuna, slices of avocado and a butter lettuce leaf and its done.

Mushrooms are another easy one to do, slice them into baton/matchsticks or even chop them finely and fry them in whatever you like. Teriyaki works really well with mushrooms (and chicken, and beef, and...).

Actually I'm talking about sashimi grade tuna - not canned. It's pretty available around here. When I have sushi I need my "raw fish fix" - I'm like a wild animal!!! :blush:

<---- Poor uni student.

And while fresh tuna (or salmon) sushi is delicious, some of us have to comprimise :P. Plus I find that the canned tuna sushi roll is the 'beginners' sushi.

That is, people who think sushi is just raw fish, they start out with the tuna roll and then theres no going back. It is the gateway drug of sushi!

Ah yes - and I also love to make tempura shrimp rolls for any beginner - they are immediate lovers!!!!! "Gateway drug to sushi" to is appropriate - once you get people to try it with something not raw they are hooked - love that phrase!!!!

It's also good with grilled tempeh (a protein source for vegetarians) and brown rice - dipped in a peanut sauce AND a soy sauce - quite good!!!!

Spicy! Wow! I'm not a fan! :rolleyes: How about shrimps or crabs?

Mary said:
Spicy! Wow! I'm not a fan! :rolleyes: How about shrimps or crabs?

Then do a shrimp tempura handroll like KElf suggested but serve it with kabayaki sauce instead of shoyu/wasabi(kabayaki is the sweet teriyaki style sauce that is served with unagi...you can buy it pre-made and bottled in the store). You can roll it with pea shoots, radish sprouts, etc. to give it a fresh flavor with added texture.

Yep, just leave off the spicy sauce - it doesn't really require any sauce on it?

ironchef - I wish I could find the sauce they serve with the unagi - I haven't found it here though!!!

Mary, when I mentioned the shrimp tempura that is just lightly battered and deep-fried - no sauce required - you can always use the imitation crab sticks.

One thing - when it comes to cooking - if you don't like spicy then you don't have to do it!!!!! Just work around it.

I recently had a chilli squid roll, was delicious, wasn't tempura though. Although they did over cook the squid a little, it was just a bit rubbery.

kitchenelf said:
One thing - when it comes to cooking - if you don't like spicy then you don't have to do it!!!!! Just work around it.

Ah okay. Thanks! :)

Haggis said:
I recently had a chilli squid roll, was delicious, wasn't tempura though. Although they did over cook the squid a little, it was just a bit rubbery.

Haggis - I find squid to be chewy anyway - kind of like taking a bite out of the cartlidge part of an ear (eeeeeeeek) I have found that if put in a toaster oven (that's the way they do it at the restaurant) - it's either on broil or a very high heat, it gets the edges browned a bit and is much more tender and has a better flavor - kind of like a cooked ear (did I really say that?) Next time ask them if they will do this to the squid - I think you will see a difference.

kitchenelf said:
Haggis - I find squid to be chewy anyway - kind of like taking a bite out of the cartlidge part of an ear (eeeeeeeek) I have found that if put in a toaster oven (that's the way they do it at the restaurant) - it's either on broil or a very high heat, it gets the edges browned a bit and is much more tender and has a better flavor - kind of like a cooked ear (did I really say that?) Next time ask them if they will do this to the squid - I think you will see a difference.

This is all that Mike Tyson eats whenever he frequents a sushi bar.

Back
Top Bottom