Swedish Meatballs sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keithtopia

Assistant Cook
Hello, I'm new to cooking and have really been enjoying it. I'm planning on making Swedish meatballs tonight for dinner but im having a hard time finding a recipe for just the sauce. Im going to be using premade meatballs. And i only have a few hours till it needs to be on the table, Please help!

Hope I am not too late, but the sauce is very simple. It is going to sound weird, but trust me, this is it.

Combine chili sauce and grape jelly and heat until mixed and hot. As far as amounts, that depends on how sweet you like it. Start with roughly equal amounts and then adjust depending on if you want it sweeter or less sweet.

true Swedish meatballs are small, and generally use Reindeer. Meatloaf mix is an American substitute unless you have venison or elk in your freezer. The binder is usually mashed potatoes, and the herb/spice is salt pepper parsley and allspice. Beef broth with allspice berries steeping in it or with a few good shakes of ground allspice is a good general "gravy". If you want to make the cream gravy, flavor the broth, add roux to thicken (1 tbsp per cup) and then add heavy cream.

true Swedish meatballs are small, and generally use Reindeer. Meatloaf mix is an American substitute unless you have venison or elk in your freezer. The binder is usually mashed potatoes, and the herb/spice is salt pepper parsley and allspice. Beef broth with allspice berries steeping in it or with a few good shakes of ground allspice is a good general "gravy". If you want to make the cream gravy, flavor the broth, add roux to thicken (1 tbsp per cup) and then add heavy cream.

Also, juniper berries can make a nice addition to the spice mix.

Keithtopia, I know my reply won't be of much help to you now, just wanted to join in on the meatball discussion. Hope your gravy turned out ok! Here's a classic recipe.

Robo 4010 - true Swedish meatballs are not made of reindeer meet. It's traditionally a mix of ground beef and pork. The binder is not mashed potatoes but fine breadcrumbs.

Meatballs are traditionally served with gravy and lingon berry jam (which can be bought at IKEA).

Robo 4010 - true Swedish meatballs are not made of reindeer meet. It's traditionally a mix of ground beef and pork. The binder is not mashed potatoes but fine breadcrumbs.

Knowing that recipes are regional, I should have avoided this by saying "can be" or "are often". Certainly not every Swede uses game.(although it is how I've had them in Sweden. I use meatloaf mix here in the US: beef pork veal) And the same is likely true for the binder. My grandmother always insisted on mashed potato, it's how her region made them. The recipes I have from "authentic" sources specify potato as well, but give alternatives too. The recipe book from Ikea specifies mashed potato, but the meatballs they sell ready made use breadcrumbs!)

It's what you've got. However, the allspice seems pretty universal.

Hope I am not too late, but the sauce is very simple. It is going to sound weird, but trust me, this is it.

Combine chili sauce and grape jelly and heat until mixed and hot. As far as amounts, that depends on how sweet you like it. Start with roughly equal amounts and then adjust depending on if you want it sweeter or less sweet.

this is a very good sauce, i often make it on christmas eve for meat balls.

Here is called "salsa a la jardinera" think is gardener'sauce (potatoes,carrots,peas,sweet wine)

I learned from Ikea to eat my meatballs with jam. Sounds weird but you must try it. Lingonberry jam is the traditional variety, but cranberry or not too sweet raspberry works just as well.:cool:

Back
Top Bottom