'Sylt Lingon'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puffin3

Senior Cook
Received a jar of this lingonberry sauce for Christmas. I've looked around goggle but I'd like to hear from people who have had first hand experience using this sauce. Any tips are gratefully needed. It's a small jar so when I use it it will be a 'one off' and I'd like to be able to tell the gift giver I used it with/on something special. Thanks

It actually goes really well with Swedish meatballs . They sell this in Ikea stores over here and they serve it with the meatballs in their restaurant .

I would also use it like you would red currant jelly, it would make a lovely sauce with red wine for steak or venison .

Last edited:
I love lingonberry saucewith crepes. I make it like you would crepe suzette but use vodka to flame my crepes. Serve with good vanilla ice cream yum!

Isn't that a Trekkie term from a distant planet? Oh, no. My mistake. That's Klingon.

Good luck with your search.

:LOL: Klingonberries! Where's Taxlady? She's Danish and would be familiar with it.

Last edited:
Just found a recipe that calls for a 10 oz can of 'beef gravy' to add before serving. GAAAH
LOL
Thanks for our posts. It's going to be 'SV' Swedish meatballs next!

We've used Lingonberries on pancakes, crepes and over ice cream.

I asked the gift giver where she got the jar from thinking it from some exotic store in Sweden. "Ikea" she said. LOLOL

Lingonberry sauce can be used like cranberries. In Newfoundland, lingonberries are called partridge berries. Some of my favorite things to do with lingonberries include:

1-Add to the gravy when making a venison roast (or beef--traditionally, this would be reindeer roast, but I have a hard time finding reindeer roasts)--so, add 1-2T lingonberries, about 5-6 T grated Gjetost, and use cream or half-and-half. Amazing gravy.

2. Add 2 grated jalapeno peppers, onion, cilantro to it and make lingonberry salsa.

3. In Newfoundland, they sell canned partridge berry pie filling. Makes an amazing pie.

Other ways to eat it, on toast, on pancakes, on muffins. You can also mix it in to the muffin batter.

OK, I've waited for a decent interval hoping for someone else to ask, but what does the original post heading mean? Is that the label on the jar?

Where did you get the frozen lingon berries? I have a jar of the stuff from Ikea, but it's got potassium sorbate. :ermm:
A friend of mine is from NFLD and drives out at the end of August, brings me back frozen lingonberries (partridge berries) that they pick while they are there. I'm sooooo lucky!!!!

My wife is Swedish. Lingon is the name of the type of berry, and "sylt" means "jelly." Use it anywhere you'd use cranberry.

It does go well with meatballs. Here's her recipe for Swedish Meatballs (Carbquik is a low-carb replacement for Bisquick):

.3 cup carbquick (or .3 cup breadcrumbs)
.75 cup heavy whipping cream (HWC)
2 lbs ground beef (or ground moose meat if in Sweden)
.5 medium onion chopped very very finely
1 tsp salt
.25 tsp ground white pepper
1 egg
Butter (see below)

Mix carbquik (or breadcrumbs) with about .5 cup of HWC until it’s the consistency of thick pancake batter.

Mix this with remaining ingredients (except butter). Form 1 inch meatballs.

1. Put 2 TBS butter in cast iron skillet
2. Brown 10 meatballs at a time in very hot cast iron skillet (well-browned)
3. Lower heat
4. Scrape pan drippings into saucepan, put meatballs in saucepan

Add half cup of heavy whipping cream to saucepan.
Simmer saucepan on low heat
Repeat steps 1-3 until all meatballs are in the saucepan.

Back
Top Bottom