"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 08-27-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Syrup and Mustard

I was super hungry the other morning, as normal. We had frozen waffles, but I was more hungry than that. We had Tyson frozen chicken patties as well. So I had the idea to make a chicken sandwich using the waffles as the bread. I googled "Chicken & Waffle Sandwich" and it turns out that is actually a thing - even Rachel Ray had a recipe. I experimented a few times with it, adding cheddar cheese and syrup, but thought it was missing something.

A couple of recipes online called for mixing Maple syrup and mustard together to make a spread or sauce for the sandwich. It sounded disgusting to me. I only had some Mrs. Butterworths, so I mixed some Dijon mustard with it and it actually tasted really good.

Anyone ever do this? Why do those flavors go together? I've heard you can balance sweetness by adding salt. I've heard chefs on TV talking about adding acid and so forth. But I don't know what are considered acids in food, how to balance bitterness, etc...

Can anyone point to a resource that explains this type of thing and maybe gives examples of what to do when?

Old 08-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Sous Chef

All I know is that something sweet and salt together is something I adore. My father, who was Canadian, loved bacon sandwiches with maple syrup drizzled over. To this day they remain a favorite. I cannot explain why but sugar/ syrup and something 'piquant' as mustard or salt do it for me every time. Experiment my friend and enjoy is my advice.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #3
Master Chef

I can see where that might work. I've never tried syrup and mustard together, never thought about it. Honey and mustard make a good dipping sauce, and it's kind of the same principle, sort of.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I can see where that might work. I've never tried syrup and mustard together, never thought about it. Honey and mustard make a good dipping sauce, and it's kind of the same principle, sort of.
Yeah, "honey - mustard" sauce jumped into my brain too.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #5
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Same here.With a dash of lemon juice pinch of pepper.
Great with chicken,pork, or salmon.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:57 PM   #6
Sous Chef

Another Rachel Ray recipe mixing chipotle chilies and syrup. I've made it a few times. Great stuff!!

Park City Cashew Chicken Recipe - Food.com
Old 08-27-2015, 03:07 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love honey mustard. I'll have to try maple syrup and mustard, don't see why it wouldn't work.

Another sweet/heat treat I like is orange marmalade and horseradish. Great with shrimp.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Ruhlman's Twenty is a great cookbook about ingredients and technique that I think does what you want. The author, Michael Ruhlman, describes what he calls the 20 essential techniques of cooking and includes 100 recipes that use those techniques, along with gorgeous photos illustrating the making of the recipes.

This is from the introduction:

Quote:
When you look at the list of my techniques, you’ll notice that some appear to be ingredients rather than techniques. While they are ingredients, they are also tools, and the best tools have multiple uses. Using these tools—salt, water, acid, onion, egg, butter, flour, sugar—is technique. Each of these entities has multiple uses. Understanding all the uses of a single ingredient is like pumping steroids into your cooking muscles.

Other sections are about working with fluid flavors: sauces and soups and flavorful elixirs. The finale of the book is defined by heat: applying heat to food, knowing what kind of heat to apply to what kind of food, for how long, and then, often, removing that heat.

These twenty are my attempt to organize and describe the fundamentals of cooking for the contemporary home kitchen. They begin where cooking begins, with thinking.
And here's a review: http://meadowparty.com/blog/2011/11/25/ruhlmans-twenty/

I bought the Kindle version; you can also get used books pretty inexpensively on Amazon.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Love honey mustard. I'll have to try maple syrup and mustard, don't see why it wouldn't work.

Another sweet/heat treat I like is orange marmalade and horseradish. Great with shrimp.
I agree Dawg, that's so good with shrimp. The last time I made coconut shrimp, I made a dipping sauce of orange marmalade, horseradish, and stone ground mustard. Delish.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcliff View Post
Anyone ever do this?
No, when I make chicken and waffles I make a honey dijon sauce to go with it, or I will use chicken gravy, which is also pretty good.

Tags
mustard, syrup