Szechuan Peppercorns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
A friend of mine just gave me a baggie filled with these amazing smelling peppercorns. What are some things that you have used them for?

ground together with Cloves, fennel seed, cinamon and star anise you can make your own chinese 5 spice :)
it`s much nicer than shop bought IMO.

GB, you can use them in Szechuan Sesame Chicken. But first roast the peppercorns over the stove or in the oven. The recipe is here. Good luck!

First thing I do is check the "freshness". Take a single peppercorn and touch you tounge to it (bite one in half first if necessary). You should get a numbing sensation almost the way benzocaine (oragel) feels. Sichuan cuisine is right up there in my top two favorites.

This book is a must, and I plan to dig into it with a couple years of dedication once I satisfy my French and Regional American interests. Afterall, it's the cuisine from the region where these peppercorns come from!

"Land of Plenty"
Amazon.com: Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking: Books: Fuchsia Dunlop

It has a perfect 5-Star rating with 22 votes as well.

Incredibly simple, but addicting dishes using authentic ingredients and techniques. Amazing book.

The noodle dishes, and Mapo Dofu are downright delicious (the only recipes I've tried so far).

Last edited:
They are often added to the Looing master sauce.

They are also featured in a salt and pepper dip. Toast szechuan peppercorns 50/50 with black pepper corns. Grind and mix with salt. Use as a vegie dip or for dipping meat from a hot pot meal.

Dare I ask where your friend got them? They were banned from the U.S. for awhile because of some insect or disease or something, but then, in the last year or two were allowed back if treated. Even then, many spice purveyors don't carry them again yet. I'd love to find a reliable source, as I adore them!!

GB said:
He got them from Penzys.
That's where I bought mine recently. I was very excited to hear about the lifting of the ban so that we could once again make some of our favorite dishes from one of our favorite books: "The Good Food of Szechwan" by Robert Delfs (I will check out Mosher's book also). There is simply no substitute for this ingredient.

While I was at Penzys, I also bought the ready-made Szechwan ground pepper and salt mixture that thymeless mentioned, but I keep forgetting about it.

Nicholas Mosher said:
First thing I do is check the "freshness". Take a single peppercorn and touch you tounge to it (bite one in half first if necessary). You should get a numbing sensation almost the way benzocaine (oragel) feels.
I just did this and they sure are fresh. It feels like carbonation without any liquid. It is a very powerful feeling and it is not calming down at all. It is still going strong about 5 minutes after my taste test.

Several months ago I found some at a nearby asian market. It took two trips because there was a language barrier that made it impossible to ask for them. I came home and printed a picture captioned with word in chinese. When I showed it to the gentleman behind the counter he led me right to them.

GB - Haha... I guess they are quite fresh then! I also just received an 8oz bag in my recent Penzeys order (my first order from them). Very high quality indeed!

They are truely an amazing ingredient.

Back
Top Bottom