"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 12-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

If it is recognizable, then that would be a good excuse to try putting chocolate in your chili

Old 12-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If it is recognizable, then that would be a good excuse to try putting chocolate in your chili
I have used chocolate in my chili for years and it makes the chili taste very good. You really don't know it's chocolate, at least you shouldn't if it's done right, but the chili turns out with a delicious depth of flavor that is surprising.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I have used chocolate in my chili for years and it makes the chili taste very good. You really don't know it's chocolate, at least you shouldn't if it's done right, but the chili turns out with a delicious depth of flavor that is surprising.
In my home town, a delicious depth of flavor is the surest way to lose a chili cookoff. And that's all I'm gonna say about that!

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 07:21 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post

I've added cinnamon before and that gives it a little something special, too. Like chocolate, you don't want to overdo it to where you can tell what it is.
I saw Callista exploring the chocolate option in that specific thread after I posted this. Can't wait to hear how it turns out. Sometimes you need to "repair" something you've worked hard on. That could probably be a forum topic on its own.....
Old 12-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
In my home town, a delicious depth of flavor is the surest way to lose a chili cookoff. And that's all I'm gonna say about that!

Well, I added one square of chocolate and wasn't impressed at first. It's cooked in and it's better. It was probably just that I knew it was chocolate but DD didn't and she loved it this time around.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post

Awww come on now Goodweed. In your hometown the pastie is king. Who needs chili with that going for you?
Old 12-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Tabasco is aged in oak barrels,,that's what gives it its' flavor..I have never been crazy about tabasco sauce myself, although I do like their habanero sauce. I like Louisiana Hot Sauce for just adding to a bowl of something. It has peppers listed first in the ingredients. I look at the ingredients in hot sauces and if vinegar is listed first I don't buy it. For chili I like to use ground cayenne. If I put any peppers in it I use poblano or fresh jalapenos. Not everybody in my family likes stuff as hot as I do.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:21 PM   #18
Head Chef

For real heat try and find some Chili pequins or some Chipotlys in adobo sauce for a great addition to your chili flavor and heat wise
Old 12-26-2007, 12:00 AM   #19
Senior Cook

when liquid items are at simmering heat and vinegar is added your going to get a strong vinegar flavor, espeacially the aroma. It evaporates fast and can really give you a kick in the olefactory! As Aunt Dot said, it will definatly reduce in intensity after its cooled

as far as Frank's versus Tabasco I'm going to go with Frank's as containing the most vinegar. Its a rather diluted hotsauce with the main ingredient being vinegar. Thats why it comes in a big bottle as opposed to tabasco, which is a bit more concentrated and contains less vinegar and more chile, thus the reason its in a small bottle. (and stretches much further with same amount of drops)

2 oz is alot of tabasco!
Old 12-26-2007, 12:10 AM   #20
Senior Cook

here's a site comparing Frank's to Tabasco based on the scoville rating

wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank's_Red_Hot