"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
The main meal was then brought to the table by yet another person
and in one restaurant, a very nicely dressed woman in the brightest of all bright red dresses ( was stunning) came to our table, said hello ( with no formal introduction), then asked how we were doing ( still no introduction), then asked if we wanted anything for dessert ( which we didnt), so we politely declined.

The lady in red was probably the owner. The last couple of times something like that has happened, I've asked and it is. It's odd they don't want to offer that information.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

I'm in a dinner club here, we meet every month so we get around a bit. We have turns at picking restaurants. Almost every one has a greeter who also handles your order as well. They also tend to be the one to bring the food as well. In some cases the owner will come and say hello. Our group is from 10 to 14 so a good group to have.
We used to go to a flash place occasionally, the owner recently drowned, so it's been closed for a while. That place treated us like we were royalty. I miss that place.

Russ

Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:20 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Thinking about this.... I've seen most often it where there is a host/hostess who greets and seats and sometimes takes the initial drink order (which is then served by someone else), and a server assigned to a certain block of tables. Sometimes the drinks are handled throughout the meal by a different person from the one who takes care of our food order. There may be some slight variations but this is what I see in the average mid range local or chain eatery. On to variations on the theme....

Sometimes the food is delivered by whatever server happens to pass through the kitchen when the order is ready, even though that is the only time that person ever comes by our table. Some places have a person whose only responsibility is to deliver food to the tables, and in those places the order taker never handles the food. Every now and then we will start with one server, then get handed off to another because one of them is overloaded while the other has fewer than what will keep them busy.

In higher end restaurants, there is often a wine steward whose only job is to handle all of the guests' wine needs throughout the meal.

Tags
food