"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Talking about blueberries

We get imported blueberries over here and I buy them as a treat despite the high price - usually around about $3 for a 1/2lb punnet - because they look beautiful and because they are supposed to be good for you. They are always, without fail, a disappointment as they taste of absolutely nothing. I can only assume, having read about the American passion for them, that they don't travel well.

Do they taste better when cooked?

We have bilberries (aka blaeberries, whimberries etc., ect.,) which are gorgeous but only have a short season as they are exclusively gathered in the wild even when bought in a shop. Bilberries are closely related to blueberries but couldn't be different in flavour from the blueberries we buy here.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:39 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Wild blueberries are so much tastier than cultivated ones. I used to take the kids blueberry picking. We would spot a bunch of bushes along side of a country road, each one would grab a pail, and then we would start picking. I always knew they would eat more than would go into the pail. But eventually they would get sick of eating them and the race was on. Who could pick the most.

Old 09-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

It seems to me that blueberries would grow well in your climate, MC. Have you ever looked for blueberry plants?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:58 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

They taste best in a pie.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They taste best in a pie.
right - or in Muffins

Mad Cook, don't there grow blueberries anywhere in GB? There are a few areas I could imagine...
we are lucky to be in one of Germany's blueberry-areas, so it is easy to get them, but some are better than others, it depends on the farmer - and most likely on the breed (?)..
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
Master Chef

Do you have berries called myrtles?

IMO they are similar to a wild blueberry.

I don't care for raw blueberries and I think the cooked ones benefit from a squirt of lemon juice to wake them up.

Try cooking them with a little water, lemon juice, a shake or two of traditional baking spices. Once they begin to boil and release their juice thicken them with a slurry of cornstarch mixed in water. When the mixture cools try it as a topping for scones or a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:51 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Let's not forget blueberry pancakes.
Fresh blueberries are kinda hit or miss on the flavor. A lot depends on the environmental factors i.e rainfall and such. We have several blueberry bushes (well I reckon they are still bushes. They are taller than I am - over 6 feet.)
This year we had a late frost which hurt our harvest and the rainfall was spotty at best when they needed it most.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My two little blueberry bushes have fruit that has nice "wild" flavor. Unfortunately, the critters usually get the berries before I do.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:56 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
right - or in Muffins

Mad Cook, don't there grow blueberries anywhere in GB? There are a few areas I could imagine...
we are lucky to be in one of Germany's blueberry-areas, so it is easy to get them, but some are better than others, it depends on the farmer - and most likely on the breed (?)..
There are a few commercial blueberry growers but they apparently need acid soils and soil in our fruit growing areas tends to be alkali. You can grow then in the garden where it's easier to control the PH of the soil.

Most of the ones I see in supermarkets are imported south America.

I shall try a few in muffins the next time
Old 09-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

the best blueberries that i've ever had grow around lakes in a state park in upstate ny near me.

the bushes would grow hanging over the lake, and most of the berries reachable from land were usually picked or eaten by human and other animals passing by. but i would pull my canoe up under the bush, and while my canoe mate would hold on and steady the canoe, i would beat the bush with a paddle, causing loads of berries to drop into the canoe. kinda like the way wild rice is harvested in the upper midwest by native americans.

we'd eat our fill, then load up the rest to take a few quarts home; faces, feet, and canoe all stained purple.

i actually got out of a speeding ticket once on the way home by giving the police officer a quart. he pulled me over probably hoping to get me on a dui charge as well (some of these lakes are big party areas), but when he asked if i had been drinking, i just gave him a big purple smile saying no and offered him the little gems. fortuately, we ditched all of the empty beer cans in the trash before we left for home, lol.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote