Tapping Sugar Maples yet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
As if life weren't busy enough, I've decided that I can "trek" out to the bush each afternoon to collect maple sap. I'm in southeastern Ontario. We were a bit late last year, only got about 2 weeks worth of sap. Anyone on the list in the area who can tell me if the sugar shacks have hung their buckets yet?

I am so jealous...I would love to be taught to make maple syrup. but them all we have around here is scrub oak.

I read an article in Minnesota Volunteer magazine about tapping trees...theoretically, you can tap birch (the syrup isn't sweet), boxelder (Manitoba maples), silver, red, and sugar maple. The sugar maple produces the sweetest syrup. We have mixed silver and sugar maple saps together. We don't have a lot of sugar maple trees, but it is really nice to have maple syrup...technically "free" except there is the cost to evaporate it, time to collect it (you have to go out every day) etc.

I am so jealous...I would love to be taught to make maple syrup. but them all we have around here is scrub oak.
There's not a lot to it...if you can boil water, you can make maple syrup <g>. My dad uses one of those propane turkey fryers to start his. So he evaps. it outside for a day, and then puts it in the fridge, then finishes it on the stove. We park ours on the woodstove or use the forge outside.

We snowmobile through several woods of tapped trees and while the line is run, no collection or run yet. I also haven't noticed the white bags on the unlined trees ... Probably a couple of weeks yet here. We had a warm stretch that people got excited about but then it froze up again.

SAP's running!!!! Problem is, the bush is FLOODED. I have to cross through 18" of water to get to the trees...and I have to leave the 10-year old Saints at the house--they don't swim and are arthritic--I feel so bad leaving them at the house when I go collect sap...I can hear them "crying" as I leave...anyone got a spare pair of waders? What about waders that are designed to fit Saint Bernards?

I waded through the bush to gather the sap...left the dogs at home. I discovered one of my rubber boots has leak in it...OMG, was my FOOT COLD (and wet) by the time I got the sap transferred and beelined it back to the homestead. I was afraid I was going to slip and fall on my arse in the 18" deep ICE water (and you wonder why maple syrup is so expensive??) Didn't, but am not looking forward to repeating this adventure tomorrow...I'm not sharing this syrup with anyone! And, I saw five robins! Spring IS coming!!!!

I waded through the bush to gather the sap...left the dogs at home. I discovered one of my rubber boots has leak in it...OMG, was my FOOT COLD (and wet) by the time I got the sap transferred and beelined it back to the homestead. I was afraid I was going to slip and fall on my arse in the 18" deep ICE water (and you wonder why maple syrup is so expensive??) Didn't, but am not looking forward to repeating this adventure tomorrow...I'm not sharing this syrup with anyone! And, I saw five robins! Spring IS coming!!!!

(((hugs))) Cold, icy, wet feet are no fun.

Are you going to buy new welly boots? Or maybe waders? Or a dry suit? :LOL:

I know spring is coming. Yesterday the sky was clear and blue and it wasn't freezing cold.

Virginia's "Little Switzerland", otherwise known as Highland County, started their annual maple sugar festival last weekend. Since watching the process of making syrup, I have never complained of the cost of a quart of pure maple syrup.

I'm just trying to figure out how I'm going to use up 10-14 liters before the sap starts running again next year...still have 1.5 liters from last year. If the trees that are "running" now keep producing as much as they are now every day...we'll be swimming in syrup. Of course, I usually "overcook" one batch (maple sugar--sort of) and really overcook another batch...so 8-10 liters.

Back
Top Bottom