"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking
Old 11-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
Master Chef
LOL - Buckytom - those were prices from just a couple of weeks ago! These are not "National name brand" stuff. The tuna I have to buy when it is on sale (2/$1) - but the box-mac and peas I can usually get any time 5/$1 at a little store about 3-miles down the road.

Once upon a time I went to Harvard, and MIT! I also went to the real Cheers, ate at The Frog and a few other places in Boston .... went to a college radio station in Lowell ... had a pizza that should have had a skull and crossbones on it (had to be 2-pounds of green bell peppers and onions on it with about 2-Tablespoons of tomato sauce) and did a bunch of other stuff I hardly remember ... what a birthday!

ronjohn - I have an Asian market on the other side of town that I used to frequent every week or two (when I lived on that side of town) ... I can do a dozen different things with Ramen Noodles, too! Give me some frozen and/or dried peas/corn, some dried shrimp/fish, and a sauce of some kind .... When my sons were younger we used to go and just pick up stuff (very few cans had any English on them so we just looked at the pictures and made up things to cook based on the pictures). Yep - we got some suprises - but we managed to figure out what to do with it .... if nothing else we doubled the rice. I guess before the "Iron Chefs" we were the original "Tin Can Chefs"?

You don't have to be rich to eat something that taste good.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 03:37 PM   #12
Master Chef
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Get Pot (yes... the metal thing )
I'm glad you clarified that, sushi!!

texasgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 08:19 PM   #13
Executive Chef
Add Meat.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 09:21 PM   #14
Master Chef
I went to North Texas State University, in Denton, Texas, in the triangle of Dallas, Fort Worth and Denton. That's the first place I ever had a taco, or any Mexican food, for that matter.
My goodness, those Sigma Nu guys were fun...it was a lot like the movie, "Animal House".
Then I got marrried, had a child, a divorce, and headed to Southern Illinois University in 1970. What a trip that was! Fortunately, I had a little girl to take care of, and she meant more to me than anything else, so I kept my act together.
They had to close the University that spring, after the Kent State event. We had a lot of rioting on campuss, the National Guard came in...it just got too dangerous.

Told you guys I was old!
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Another Dinosaur Chimes In

I remember those days, Connie. The Kent State event was one of my first demonstrations. Did you know that Joe Walsh was a member of the Ohio Natl Guard back then? How times have changed.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #16
Master Chef
Mudbug, I sure didn't know that about Walsh! By the way, we saw him performing at the State Fair a few years ago...great concert.

"play golf all day with heads of state...if they brought beer, wouldn't that be great?"
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 07:28 PM   #17
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
WOW! So THIS is where this thread went! I forgot about it after it moved. What GREAT cheap recipes!!! Bucky And Mike, really fantastic ideas. Mike, love the variations!!!

Ok... how about hot dog variations??

(GOOD beef)Hot dogs with rice, cilantro, jalapenos and SHARP cheese!!!
-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:56 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
ok sush,

of course there's chopped up dogs mixed into a can o' baked beans. add any available diced veggies like peppers, cauliflower, tomatoes, and potatoes. heat and stir until the veggies are soft (nuke the potatoes first), then top with chopped raw onion and melted cheese.
when i was a kid, i thought i would be a good cowboy because i loved this meal. this is what cowboys eat, don't they?

another one is fried dog balls. put a package of hot dogs, wrapper removed and discarded, into a blender and pulse blend until it is like ground meat. mix with an egg, shell removed and discarded, and a cup of breadcrumbs, and a good squirt of mustard. roll into balls.
put corn flakes in a plastic bag, beat until they resemble fine breadcrumbs, then roll the dog balls in the corn flake crumbs, and fry in oil, turning to fry each side. deep fry if possible.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 09:26 AM   #19
Master Chef
Butter in college - you're dreamming!
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #20
Executive Chef
Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Butter in college - you're dreamming!
Lol, perhaps if you gathered enough of those little thimble sized containers of cream that you get at restaurants and cafes together you could whip up some butter yourself

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote