"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Tasteless ginger

When I use fresh ginger the recipes always come out bland, even though I use as much as the recipe asks for. It seems that the giner one buys in the grocery store is just not very gingery. Can anybody tell me either where to get more pungent ginger or what I'm doing wrong?

Old 02-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #2
Head Chef

I'd try Penzys. IMO supermarket ginger sometimes lays around too long.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Penzeys is a great source of quality spices but they do not offer fresh ginger. When buying ginger in the market, look for the juiciest pieces. Sometimes older pieces are mixed in and they are not too good. Also, don't be shy about just breaking a smaller piece off of a large hand of ginger if that's all you need.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Head Chef

Are you sure it's the ginger? I always thought that my stir fries were falling flat because of the ginger but it turned out that I needed to use fresh garlic rather than granulated. Perhaps this is not your problem but I offer it up just in case.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
Head Chef

I've never had "flat" fresh ginger. Seems to me when it gets too old it basically becomes dried up, hard and nearly impossible to cut or grate (which you can see even before you take a knife to it).

I keep my fresh ginger in the freezer. It does change the texture a tiny bit, but it doesn't seem any effect on the taste; it still delivers that distinctive bite and flavor. It's much easier to chop with a knife when it's frozen -- though it is harder to grate on a mico-grater 'cuz your fingers get so cold holding it.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Are you chopping it to the required state - which can be anything from minced to pureed for most recipes? Also are you adding it early enough to get the flavor mingled in?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:32 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

tasteless ginger

I am doing everything the way the recipes tell me -- mincing it, grating it, whtever. I will try freezing it, and thanks for the suggestion.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Freezing it is good for keeping ginger. Around here we can go through a pound in a week, when the kids are all here, so no need to freeze it - I need to grow it!. The grandboys especially like ginger anything. I frequently double or triple the ginger to kick something up for them. Also I have a couple of cookbooks that I know from experience under season, so just add more!
Old 02-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarroll774 View Post
I am doing everything the way the recipes tell me -- mincing it, grating it, whtever. I will try freezing it, and thanks for the suggestion.

Individual taste sensitivity varies. If you want more ginger flavor, you shouldn't hesitate to add more ginger than the recipe calls for
Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #10
Head Chef

Growing ginger is easy-- take a young piece of root and put it just under the surface in a pot of soil.

Sometimes you can find roots with visible buds--these work best.