"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 11-04-2005, 03:40 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Mish started a thread a while back on high tea. There are lots of sandwich ideas and more on the thread..

High Tea/Party Ideas

Old 11-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Cook

Send a message via MSN to cc2003btw
Theres a lot of things that people refer to as English, feels very strange. What makes a sandwich English. I guess crumpets are our kinda thing. Pikelets are great, especially as mini pizzas, some chorizo sausage and melted cheese on top.

Old 11-04-2005, 10:08 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2003btw
Theres a lot of things that people refer to as English, feels very strange. What makes a sandwich English. I guess crumpets are our kinda thing. Pikelets are great, especially as mini pizzas, some chorizo sausage and melted cheese on top.
CC, I have meant those neatly trimmed quaint square sandwiches, with the crusts cut off (one of the most famous and delicious ones are cucumbers), not the chips butties... they are particularly associated with "English tea" from the eyes of foreigners, where they make and eat sandwiches in every possible shapes...

And yes... I forgot about Crumpets!! Unfortunately I don't find them in Italy, but one of these days I would like to try making them myself... what would you say, those round egg shaper will work as the substitute to crumpet rings?

Old 11-04-2005, 10:11 AM   #14
Executive Chef

'What makes a sandwich English?'

Well, perhaps because it was named after the Earl of Sandwich who when playing cards late one night requested a snack and was given some cold meat and pickles and a couple of hunks of bread at the gaming table. In order to make least mess, he placed the meat and pickles between two slices of bread and, VOILA, the sandwich was born

(Personally, I think that's a loada hooey.... but it IS named after him!)
Old 11-04-2005, 10:25 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Urmaniac - have a look on that thread that I posted above about high tea... my recipe for crumpets is on that thread.

I've got the proper rings for the crumpets, but I don't see why that implement you posted shouldn't work!
Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Thanks so much Izzy!! Well the weather is getting chilly and we have plenty of earl grey stocked, I think we are good to go for trying this recipe, as soon as we get that egg ring which we saw in Ikea last time we were there!!