Temperature for baking chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A dishwasher (the appliance, not a person) does a pretty good job of cleaning racks. Gets the goo off of places that are hard to clean by hand.

taxlady said:
A dishwasher (the appliance, not a person) does a pretty good job of cleaning racks. Gets the goo off of places that are hard to clean by hand.

My dishwasher just broke, and hopefully I'll be able to get a new one soon. If anyone has a recommendation for a good one - the low end price wise - I'm all ears.

Greg Who Cooks said:
Depending on whether you're going to use the pan juices or discard them, if the latter then cover the pan with aluminum foil for NO cleaning. When you're done just wad up the foil and throw it away.

Love it! The less cleaning the better. Sometimes I avoid cooking because of how much work it is to clean up afterwards.

Love it! The less cleaning the better. Sometimes I avoid cooking because of how much work it is to clean up afterwards.
It's always a good idea to give thought to ways to minimize unnecessary work.

Another thing that works for me is to clean while I'm cooking. For example, while I'm reducing a sauce I might clean up some of the dishes I had used for pre-measured ingredients (mise en place) and put them away. On a good day by the time I serve dinner the only dirty dishes, pots and pans are the one I'm serving from.

It's always a good idea to give thought to ways to minimize unnecessary work.

Another thing that works for me is to clean while I'm cooking. For example, while I'm reducing a sauce I might clean up some of the dishes I had used for pre-measured ingredients (mise en place) and put them away. On a good day by the time I serve dinner the only dirty dishes, pots and pans are the one I'm serving from.

The first thing I do whether I am baking or cooking, is to fill the sink up with hot soapy water. During the three minutes it takes to cream the butter and sugar, I can get a lot washed that have been soaking. By the time the cake is ready to go into the oven, all I have left to wash is the spatula, mixing bowl and my hands.

Now Addie... aren't ya supposed to wash those first?:LOL:

:LOL::LOL: I have one of those "hands free" dispensers. I have become obsessive about washing the counter tops and my hands ever since I had the Norovirus. I wouldn't wish that on an ex husband.

So I tried using a meat thermometer and a broiling pan tonight and had some logistical problems.

I attempted to put the thermometer in a chicken thigh while it was in the oven and couldn't reach it because my oven is so small. I ended up having to pull the pan out of the oven, take the temperature of the meat, and put it back. Is this what people normally do?

Also there was a spot on the bottom of one of the thighs that seemed red and undercooked. I don't think I could have left the meat in longer (40 minutes at 400) because the rest of the thigh seemed a bit dry. What could I have done differently?

So I tried using a meat thermometer and a broiling pan tonight and had some logistical problems.

I attempted to put the thermometer in a chicken thigh while it was in the oven and couldn't reach it because my oven is so small. I ended up having to pull the pan out of the oven, take the temperature of the meat, and put it back. Is this what people normally do?

Also there was a spot on the bottom of one of the thighs that seemed red and undercooked. I don't think I could have left the meat in longer (40 minutes at 400) because the rest of the thigh seemed a bit dry. What could I have done differently?

What temperatures did your thermometer read?
How many different spots did you check temps?

It's OK that you take the meat out to check the temps.

Andy M. said:
What temperatures did your thermometer read?
How many different spots did you check temps?

It's OK that you take the meat out to check the temps.

I checked the meat in one spot, the middle of the thigh. At first I put it in too far and actually dented the pan :( After 20 minutes it was 160 and at 30 minutes it was 188.

The joint where the thigh attaches to the body is always the last place to cook through.

188º F is a good temp. for thigh meat. next time check the breast at the thickest part and the thigh in a couple of spots. If you hit at least 165º in the breast and 185º in the thigh, take the bird out, cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. It will finish cooking during that resting time.

Andy M. said:
The joint where the thigh attaches to the body is always the last place to cook through.

188º F is a good temp. for thigh meat. next time check the breast at the thickest part and the thigh in a couple of spots. If you hit at least 165º in the breast and 185º in the thigh, take the bird out, cover it loosely with foil and let it rest for 15-20 minutes. It will finish cooking during that resting time.

I rested it for only 5 minutes because I was hungry. Do you think that might have been part of the problem? Seems like the chicken keeps cooking after it's out of the oven.

Thanks for clarifying! How often do you usually check the temperature with the first type of thermometer you described.

I rested it for only 5 minutes because I was hungry. Do you think that might have been part of the problem? Seems like the chicken keeps cooking after it's out of the oven.

It certainly does keep cooking once out of the oven. Resting it will allow the juices to be absorbed by the breast, thigh, ect. Flipping the chicken breast mid cook and resting for 10 minutes will help out a lot.

Bmhughes89 said:
It certainly does keep cooking once out of the oven. Resting it will allow the juices to be absorbed by the breast, thigh, ect. Flipping the chicken breast mid cook and resting for 10 minutes will help out a lot.

So flipping the thigh mid-cook will work if I'm using a rack?

I usually pull the rack forward to get the thermometer into the meat.

Again, I put the thermometer into the breast meat, placing the tip right next to the thigh joint, and pull the bird when the temp reaches 155' F. Like the others, I let it rest 15 minutes before carving. Unlike some, I don't flip the bird. I cook it breast-side up for the entire cooking time. The meat is so juicy, it will squirt you when you bite it. It doesn't matter if I'm giving it a bit of smoke over a divided charcoal Bed on my Webber, or baked/roasted in the oven. It comes out the same.

If you have the time, and you're still having trouble with dry meat, try this. Roast the chicken the day before, making sure to follow the above directions. Carve the meat and place into the roasting pan, or other suitable pan with all of the meat juices that accumulated in the pan. Add enough water to the pan juices to cover. Place int the fridge until the next day, and heat in the juices at 200', until warm enough to eat . Serve hot. The skin won't be as crispy, but the meat will be ridiculously juicy and tender.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom