"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > General Cooking

Old 07-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #91
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Tis true. High sided pans both negate the natural circulation of air in an oven, which keeps new hot air from transferring its heat to the skin. It also blocks infra-red heat from reaching the skin, again blocking that all important heat transfer that makes the skin crisp and delicious. So now you know why roasting pans are shallow. And if you can put you meat, be it foul, fish, or meat onto a rack of some sort, it will cook even better.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That chicken was on a rack

Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #92
Sous Chef

Can someone share a link to a roasting pan with a rack they would recommend? I have a small oven and am not sure I could get one that would fit.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 AM   #93
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would search "roasting pan with rack" on Amazon and see what is available. They have a huge selection to look at.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:14 AM   #94
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
I would search "roasting pan with rack" on Amazon and see what is available. They have a huge selection to look at.
I did and most of them look too big for my oven. They also look hard to clean.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #95
Executive Chef

I use a cookie sheet (foil covered for easy clean up) and a flat rack about 1/2" or 3/4" tall. I just set the chicken on the rack. No need for "V" shaped rack like many people use. I got the rack at a restaurant supply store. You can probably find similar items on the Internet if you have no restaurant supply stores nearby.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #96
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks
I use a cookie sheet (foil covered for easy clean up) and a flat rack about 1/2" or 3/4" tall. I just set the chicken on the rack. No need for "V" shaped rack like many people use. I got the rack at a restaurant supply store. You can probably find similar items on the Internet if you have no restaurant supply stores nearby.
That sounds like an easy solution. How do you clean the rack? I'm guessing that they can get pretty greasy.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #97
Certified Pretend Chef

I hate using racks because they are so hard to clean. If you have to, set the meat on some cut up veggies to raise it off the bottom and use the flavored drippings for a great gravy.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 PM   #98
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
That sounds like an easy solution. How do you clean the rack? I'm guessing that they can get pretty greasy.
Doesn't get as greasy as you would think, because the grease drips off and falls on the aluminum foil. Most of the time I just wash with soap and water, or sometimes if it builds up I use Easy Off oven cleaner to soften the grease, the run hot water over, and finish up with soap and water.

You'll find the same of practically any roasting rack.

Also, when I'm lazy sometimes I tear off pieces of aluminum foil and roll them into balls (about 1" diameter) and support chicken pieces with the foil balls. This is particularly good when cooking a couple thighs as serving for one. (I did this just last night.) When the chicken is cooked I just discard all the foil and there's nothing left to clean.

One thing is for certain. If you roast chicken and don't support it above the grease drippings the bottom of the chicken is going to get greasy. That is most easily accomplished by using a rack or spit.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #99
Sous Chef

I found a small roasting pan with a rack at Bed Bath, and the sales person recommended spraying it with Pam for easy cleaning. I'm going to try that and post the results.
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM   #100
Executive Chef

Depending on whether you're going to use the pan juices or discard them, if the latter then cover the pan with aluminum foil for NO cleaning. When you're done just wad up the foil and throw it away.