Temperature for baking chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for clarifying! How often do you usually check the temperature with the first type of thermometer you described.

You usually have a rough idea of how long something has to cook so you check as you get lose to that time. If you're close, within 10º, check again in a few minutes. It doesn't take long.

If you are really not sure how long something will take, you'll have to check earlier and more frequently. That's part of the learning process. Make notes for next time.

Good news. Raising the oven temperature and coating the chicken thighs with olive oil seems to be working but sometimes the meat is a bit dry. Any suggestions on how to get the meat a bit more tender?

I have to go along with Chief Longwind here.

"Roasting/baking at high temperatures, 425 - 450'F. results in crisper skin. A meat thermometer is used to determine when the deepest part of the meat reaches 155'F. Let the chicken rest for 10 to 15 mintues and it will come to a final temp of 165'F, which results in tender, juicy meat. The chicken cooks fast at high temperature, so start checking it after 30 minutes or so."

I find it really important to get the chicken out at 150 - 155F and let it rest in order to get it up to 165F. This redistributes the juices gently without cooking them away.

Thanks everyone for these wonderful tips on using a meat thermometer. I'm going to get one and try it.

Does the kind of pan you use affect the temperature of the chicken? I've been using an 8 x 8 cake pan lined with foil.

No. Cake pans, cookie sheets, brownie pans, cast iron skillets no difference.
Actually, I tried roasting a chicken in a 4" deep, metal, lasagna pan and it just wasn't getting cooked. I moved the chicken to a shallower, glass, roasting pan.

Actually, I tried roasting a chicken in a 4" deep, metal, lasagna pan and it just wasn't getting cooked. I moved the chicken to a shallower, glass, roasting pan.

A high-sided pan such as a lasagne pan will interfere with the cooking process, usually by slowing the browning of the exterior. That's why I suggested low-sided pans.

A high-sided pan such as a lasagne pan will interfere with the cooking process, usually by slowing the browning of the exterior. That's why I suggested low-sided pans.

Tis true. High sided pans both negate the natural circulation of air in an oven, which keeps new hot air from transferring its heat to the skin. It also blocks infra-red heat from reaching the skin, again blocking that all important heat transfer that makes the skin crisp and delicious. So now you know why roasting pans are shallow. And if you can put you meat, be it foul, fish, or meat onto a rack of some sort, it will cook even better.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I always use a rack when I put a large piece of meat in the oven. Makes a big difference. When I make a fresh pork shoulder and put it on the rack, it is crispy all around. Soo good!!:chef:

Tis true. High sided pans both negate the natural circulation of air in an oven, which keeps new hot air from transferring its heat to the skin. It also blocks infra-red heat from reaching the skin, again blocking that all important heat transfer that makes the skin crisp and delicious. So now you know why roasting pans are shallow. And if you can put you meat, be it foul, fish, or meat onto a rack of some sort, it will cook even better.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
That chicken was on a rack :ermm:

Can someone share a link to a roasting pan with a rack they would recommend? I have a small oven and am not sure I could get one that would fit.

I would search "roasting pan with rack" on Amazon and see what is available. They have a huge selection to look at.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I would search "roasting pan with rack" on Amazon and see what is available. They have a huge selection to look at.

I did and most of them look too big for my oven. They also look hard to clean.

I use a cookie sheet (foil covered for easy clean up) and a flat rack about 1/2" or 3/4" tall. I just set the chicken on the rack. No need for "V" shaped rack like many people use. I got the rack at a restaurant supply store. You can probably find similar items on the Internet if you have no restaurant supply stores nearby.

Greg Who Cooks said:
I use a cookie sheet (foil covered for easy clean up) and a flat rack about 1/2" or 3/4" tall. I just set the chicken on the rack. No need for "V" shaped rack like many people use. I got the rack at a restaurant supply store. You can probably find similar items on the Internet if you have no restaurant supply stores nearby.

That sounds like an easy solution. How do you clean the rack? I'm guessing that they can get pretty greasy.

I hate using racks because they are so hard to clean. If you have to, set the meat on some cut up veggies to raise it off the bottom and use the flavored drippings for a great gravy.

That sounds like an easy solution. How do you clean the rack? I'm guessing that they can get pretty greasy.
Doesn't get as greasy as you would think, because the grease drips off and falls on the aluminum foil. Most of the time I just wash with soap and water, or sometimes if it builds up I use Easy Off oven cleaner to soften the grease, the run hot water over, and finish up with soap and water.

You'll find the same of practically any roasting rack.

Also, when I'm lazy sometimes I tear off pieces of aluminum foil and roll them into balls (about 1" diameter) and support chicken pieces with the foil balls. This is particularly good when cooking a couple thighs as serving for one. (I did this just last night.) When the chicken is cooked I just discard all the foil and there's nothing left to clean.

One thing is for certain. If you roast chicken and don't support it above the grease drippings the bottom of the chicken is going to get greasy. That is most easily accomplished by using a rack or spit.

Last edited:
I found a small roasting pan with a rack at Bed Bath, and the sales person recommended spraying it with Pam for easy cleaning. I'm going to try that and post the results.

Depending on whether you're going to use the pan juices or discard them, if the latter then cover the pan with aluminum foil for NO cleaning. When you're done just wad up the foil and throw it away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom