Temperature for 'tender' pork before broiling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ottenm

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe for Chinese BBQ pork that starts out in the slow cooker and finishes under the broiler to caramelize a sauce. The recipe says to cook in the slow cooker "until just tender".

After the slow cooker, the pork gets repeatedly flipped, coated and put under the broiler for a total of 15 minutes, so definitely some additional cooking here after the slow cooker and even after the broiler while it rests.

Any suggestions for a target internal temperature to pull from the slow cooker?

Thanks for any feedback-

I have a recipe for Chinese BBQ pork that starts out in the slow cooker and finishes under the broiler to caramelize a sauce. The recipe says to cook in the slow cooker "until just tender".

After the slow cooker, the pork gets repeatedly flipped, coated and put under the broiler for a total of 15 minutes, so definitely some additional cooking here after the slow cooker and even after the broiler while it rests.

Any suggestions for a target internal temperature to pull from the slow cooker?

Thanks for any feedback-

What pork cut are you using? Pork Belly?

Pork shoulder benefits from low slow cooking. If you cook it to an internal temperature of 180ºF then do the broiling, you should be OK. I would expect the broiling to bring the temperature op to 190ºF-200ºF.

I've been making this since the 70's from a book named The Gourmet Chinese Regional Cookbook by Calvin and Audrey Lee.. I use pork tenderloins..

I've not experienced using a slow cooker as, its all roasted in the oven, hanging on S hooks suspended from the top rack...

I'm not certain what "until just tender" in the slow cooker actually means..

Let us know how it comes out, please.. :)

Ross

Last edited:
I have found that I get better results by feel not temperature. I go by how the thermometer probe goes through the meat. If you are going to pull or shred the meat, you want the probe to glide right through the meat "like butter." If you're finished meat will be sliced, you want it to feel a little firmer.

15 minutes under the broiler is not likely to do much in the way of cooking the inside. I would also use that 15 minutes as an approximate measure. Keep a sharp eye on the meat and pull it when it looks right. Too long under the broiler, and you will burn the surface of the roast.

Pork shoulder is very forgiving. Cooked low and slow, it is hard to overcook.

CD

I've been making this since the 70's from a book named The Gourmet Chinese Regional Cookbook by Calvin and Audrey Lee.. I use pork tenderloins..

I've not experienced using a slow cooker as, its all roasted in the oven, hanging on S hooks suspended from the top rack...

I'm not certain what "until just tender" in the slow cooker actually means..

Let us know how it comes out, please.. :)

Ross

That is a little vague, but I think it means stopping before it gets to "fall apart" tender, like you would want for pulled pork.

CD

That is a little vague, but I think it means stopping before it gets to "fall apart" tender, like you would want for pulled pork.

CD
That makes sense... :)

To me, Chinese BBQ Pork or "Char Siu Pork" is as the photo below..
Disclaimer: The photo is not mine, its from Nagi @ RecipeTin Eats..
Ross

Attachments

• Char-Siu_680px_MAIN.jpg
    Char-Siu_680px_MAIN.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Thanks a ton for the help and comments! Dish came out BOSS and satisfied everyone!

Thanks a ton for the help and comments! Dish came out BOSS and satisfied everyone!

So, if you get a chance, tell us how you ended up cooking it to "just tender," and how you finished it under the broiler.

CD

It's literally impossible to cook a protein till "just tender" in a crock pot. You cant assess and control tenderness without constantly taking the lid off which lowers the temp and prevents cooking.

So I am always suspicious of recipes like that.

Like Andy said, pork shoulder needs 180-90 to be tender; 190-200 to "pull"

IMO, its always best to cook to a certain temperature.

Back
Top Bottom